none
how to contribute code RRS feed

• Question

• I have read all the instructions on contributing code, but can't seem to get access and I am find conflicting information. Perhaps someone else can point me in the right direction.

I have emailed info@websitepanel.net many times. but there is never any reply.

I can't take ownership of issues, or even when adding an issue I have no ability to set any of the parameters.

Should I be creating a forx for each fix/feature or submitting to the "dev branch.

How do I give others access to my Fork?

How is testing/checking the forks/fixes and integrating them, anyone, the whole project and website seems like it is not being managed.

Russ Michaels
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:05 PM

Answers

• I have read all the instructions on contributing code, but can't seem to get access and I am find conflicting information. Perhaps someone else can point me in the right direction.

I can't take ownership of issues, or even when adding an issue I have no ability to set any of the parameters.

Should I be creating a forx for each fix/feature or submitting to the "dev branch.

How is testing/checking the forks/fixes and integrating them, anyone, the whole project and website seems like it is not being managed.

Russ Michaels

Hi there,

#1. I would suggest to use forums instead of e-mail.

#2. My understanding is that only a moderator can assign a work item to a contributor. But you can confirm it with Codeplex User Manual.

#3. Create a separate fork is a preferred way to contribute a fix or feature as it isolates your changes from the trunk bits which the team is responsible for.

#4. Others have Read access to your fork by default, even unauthenticated users. It is my understanding that the user's forks can be managed only by the owner.

#5. Forks integration is a tricky process but the general point is before your changes can be integrated into the trunk your fork must be compatible with it (eq. trunk).

Hope this helps.

Happy coding!

Please vote, if you find a post helpful! Appreciate.

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:47 AM
  • ok super, how about giving our developers WRITE access to the forks I have created ?
    Russ Michaels

It is my understanding that the user's forks can be managed only by the owner. Eq. only owner can submit any changes for the fork. However, I would recommend you to check with Codeplex User Manual to find out if the functionality you are looking for is or is not available.

Thanks. 

Friday, November 4, 2011 4:50 PM

All replies

• Currently it looks like only way of submiting contributions is to create a fork for each new functionality/bugfix according to this document:

http://websitepanel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20To%20Contribute%20to%20the%20Project

I'm having some problems with cloning a fork from codeplex:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wspdev/thread/b362506c-a831-489e-bcee-5a7b13df8e02

have you maybe encountered similar issue? I was able to clone fork from repository two times (but I've experienced with them identical error like I'm now getting with third fork).

If you have not signed contributor agreement then you should contact with Outercurve: contributions@outercurve.org

Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:51 AM

Russ Michaels

Hi there,

#1. I would suggest to use forums instead of e-mail.

#2. My understanding is that only a moderator can assign a work item to a contributor. But you can confirm it with Codeplex User Manual.

#3. Create a separate fork is a preferred way to contribute a fix or feature as it isolates your changes from the trunk bits which the team is responsible for.

#4. Others have Read access to your fork by default, even unauthenticated users. It is my understanding that the user's forks can be managed only by the owner.

#5. Forks integration is a tricky process but the general point is before your changes can be integrated into the trunk your fork must be compatible with it (eq. trunk).

Hope this helps.

Happy coding!

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:47 AM
  • ok super, how about giving our developers WRITE access to the forks I have created ?
    Russ Michaels
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Hello,

all you need is a codeplex account. Everyone can create a new fork and commit to it. Everything is here:

http://websitepanel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20To%20Contribute%20to%20the%20Project

Friday, November 4, 2011 10:28 AM
  • OK under Source Code it says Forks (18)

but if I click on this I only see my own forks, I cannot access anyone elses.

Russ Michaels
    Friday, November 4, 2011 10:39 AM
  • please ignore, I found the reason 2 seconds after posting that :-)
    Russ Michaels
    Friday, November 4, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Keep in mind that you must sign contributor agreement with Outercurve:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wspdiscuss/thread/6c9038e8-9471-44ae-8a04-7008f85638b1

to allow them use your contributions.

"....The list of issues is huge and we call for developers! To become a project contributor there is a small formality: you have to sign Outercurve Assignment Agreement (http://www.outercurve.org/About/DevelopmentPractices#agreements). Please contact contributions@outercurve.org to sign....."

Friday, November 4, 2011 10:44 AM
    Russ Michaels

It is my understanding that the user's forks can be managed only by the owner. Eq. only owner can submit any changes for the fork. However, I would recommend you to check with Codeplex User Manual to find out if the functionality you are looking for is or is not available.

Thanks. 

Friday, November 4, 2011 4:50 PM
  • hmm ok, I guess I will need to create a single login for everyone to share then.
    I much prefer SubVersion so far. 
    Russ Michaels
    Friday, November 4, 2011 5:21 PM