FxCop 1.34 and ASP.NET generated code RRS feed

• Question

• Mike,

In FxCop 1.32 I have problems analyzing ASP.NET 2 generated assemblies which are built from generated code (because FxCop specifically ignores the methods that I want to analyze). I reported this issue a number of months ago and you said that some kind of solution would be put in place. Will this make it into 1.34 ? Are you in a position to say how it will be implemented ?

Thanks.

Guy
    Wednesday, November 2, 2005 9:57 AM

Answers

• The final v2.0 asp.net compiler decorates web app binaries with a special attribute that FxCop recognizes. We use this information to significantly filter noise from tool results. This functionality will ship in version 1.34 of FxCop, which we plan to release here within 2 - 3 weeks. I will update the FAQ on this accordingly.

With your specific issue, however, I'm not entirely sure the new version will help out. Can you send me a small repro binary (plus valid PDB, this is important) in a zip file? I'll take a look and see if we analyze the specific method you point me to. If we don't, and if there's a good case for making it happen, we could still take a change in behavior for you.

Friday, November 4, 2005 2:36 PM