none
Problems installing .net framework 3.5 using hta and WMI RRS feed

• Question

• OS Version: Windows XP SP2
    .NET Version: 3.5
    .NET patches: none

I have a software project that includes a service and client. These two parts were created in two different Visual Studio 2008 solutions, so I found it difficult to setup a single installer for both. Instead, I created a HTML application using javascript and WMI to launch the two setups. The first setup installs the .NET framework 3.5 before installing the service. When I launch the first installer I check every .5 seconds to see if the service install is done so I can launch the client installer.

This works fine on some of the PCs I've installed on, but on others the .NET install fails partway through the process. If, on those same machines, I download the .NET 3.5 installer from the MS web site and run it manually it completes normally.

Is there any restriction on having Javascript, an HTML app, or WMI running during the install? Could the .5 second polling cause a problem? Any ideas?

Thanks
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• I know this is an extremely old thread..... but I was going through unanswered posts...

Is it possible for you to create a new solution, then add both projects to the new solution?

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:44 AM
  • IMO, I would suggest you create a fresh solution and add the two existing project into this newly created solution.  After that, save all files including the .sln file.  And try to add a Setup Project or Setup Wizard Project.  Both of them are for wrapping your main app.exe and all related files into a single .msi file or .cab file.  Or else you can also try to use ClickOnce Install method to publish your app.

My blog: http://soho-hsh.blogspot.com

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:49 AM