Accessing album art through the Property System RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am wondering if the Windows Property System provides any method for retrieving/modifying/removing album art that is embedded in music files. When looking through the predefined Windows properties , the only one that seems somewhat related is System.Thumbnail. However, I need the full album art, not just a thumbnail.

There must be a way, because both Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player in Windows 7 show the embedded album art of MPEG-4 music files, but how?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:48 PM

Answers

• The media file property handlers expose embedded thumbnails through the System.ThumbnailStream property.  The property handlers do not reduce the image size or quality when providing it, so it should be a direct copy of whatever is embedded in the media file.

For non-embedded thumbanils -- like where the thumbnail image is downloaded seperately -- PKEY_ImageParsingName will give you the name of the image file that holds (or would hold) the album art.  There is no guarantee that the file exists, and you would need to use some other API to parse the image file format (typically jpeg).

• Marked as answer by Tim De Baets Friday, November 12, 2010 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:28 PM

All replies

• The media file property handlers expose embedded thumbnails through the System.ThumbnailStream property.  The property handlers do not reduce the image size or quality when providing it, so it should be a direct copy of whatever is embedded in the media file.

For non-embedded thumbanils -- like where the thumbnail image is downloaded seperately -- PKEY_ImageParsingName will give you the name of the image file that holds (or would hold) the album art.  There is no guarantee that the file exists, and you would need to use some other API to parse the image file format (typically jpeg).

• Marked as answer by Tim De Baets Friday, November 12, 2010 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Thanks, I have tried it, and System.ThumbnailStream does indeed retrieve/set the full-sized album art, not a thumbnail. Kind of a misleading property name, but it works :)

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:16 PM