Beginner programmer seeking advice on tools

General discussion

• I've been programming lightly as a hobbyist for a years; however, Java is the only language I'm experienced enough with to produce any useful software.  I'm very eager to learn how to create Metro style applications (for fun--maybe profit later).  Given that there are three basic development stacks to choose from:  HTML5/CSS/JS, C++ DirectX, or C# or VB with XAML, which tool would you suggest?  

I have no bias for any of the three, although I hear C# is pretty close to Java syntax-wise.  But this HTML5 is suppose to be the way of the future.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:10 AM

All replies

• If you know Java, I'd lean towards C# as it's going to give you the most familiar environment to learn the new Metro model from. HTML5 is a useful skill to have, but Javascript is not exactly the nicest language in the world to deal with. Ultimately any of them will let you develop apps and you can always pick up the skills for the others if and when you need them later on.
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Thank you!  So C# and XAML will be first on my list.  I know anything worth doing won't be easy, so I'll have to buckle-down and get busy.  The curious thing is XAML.  Is learning WPF going to give me the XAML skills that I will need, or do I need to learn Silverlight along with it?

Thanks again for the advice.  If anyone else would like to donate some wisdom to a newb, please do.  I really do appreciate it.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:57 PM