none
Ribbon customization question: customUI (customUI14.xml) vs. userCustomization (customUI.xml) in zip package RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone summarize the difference between these two components in the Word zip file? I am having trouble finding any concise documentation explaining what they are used for:

customUI folder (customUI14.xml)

OR

userCustomization folder (customUI.xml)

I believe that the customUI14.xml is used for adding/modifying general ribbon commands (as well as possibly QAT commands). This is the one that gets created automatically when you use the Custom UI Editor tool.

The customUI.xml (in userCustomization) on the other hand, is not accessible via the Custom UI Editor tool - this one seems to be for customizing QAT commands specifically.

Do I have this correct, or am I missing something about when one should be used over the other? They seem to overlap a bit.

Thanks

Thursday, July 3, 2014 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi wordyone

Which version of Word is involved, here? The "Ribbon technology" has evolved across versions, although most of the differences are between 2007 and 2010...

A customUI14.xml file is a Ribbon customization for Office 2010/2013. Office 2007 cannot display it. customUI14 supports Backstage and context menus. customUI.xml on the other hand is PROBABLY a Ribbon customization using the Office 2007 definitions. Later versions of Office can display and work with the older version.

An Office document MAY contain both versions at the same time. In that case, the Ribbon will be used that is appropriate/correct for the version of Office opening the document. In both cases, I believe they should be in the customUI folder in the Zip package.

I didn't realize that QAT customizations could be stored within a document, but apparently this is possible accoring to the documentation for the folder userCustomization: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd905264(v=office.12).aspx. I have, however, never seen an option in an Office application to store such customizations in a document and was under the impression they'd be stored in a file saved in the user's profile.

Additional information is scarce, but I have turned up some in German. It appears the customUi file in userCustomization uses an addiational namespace than the XML which defines the Ribbon: http://www.office-loesung.de/ftopic266375_0_0_asc.php

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Monday, July 7, 2014 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi wordyone,

If you don't use the Custom UI Editor tool to customize a word document, then there would be no folder named customUI, thus there would be no customUI14.xml or customUI.xml.

If you use Custom UI Editor tool to insert a "Office 2010 Custom UI Part", customUI14.xml will be created. Insert a "Office 2007 Custom UI Part", customUI.xml will be created. For Office 2010 or 2013, you need to insert customUI14.xml, or it won't work. For Office 2007, just insert customUI.xml.

I didn't find a solid documentation either, but I believe there's no big difference other than the name of the xml file. Because the content xml you add into the two files are the same.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 4, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Hi wordyone

Which version of Word is involved, here? The "Ribbon technology" has evolved across versions, although most of the differences are between 2007 and 2010...

A customUI14.xml file is a Ribbon customization for Office 2010/2013. Office 2007 cannot display it. customUI14 supports Backstage and context menus. customUI.xml on the other hand is PROBABLY a Ribbon customization using the Office 2007 definitions. Later versions of Office can display and work with the older version.

An Office document MAY contain both versions at the same time. In that case, the Ribbon will be used that is appropriate/correct for the version of Office opening the document. In both cases, I believe they should be in the customUI folder in the Zip package.

I didn't realize that QAT customizations could be stored within a document, but apparently this is possible accoring to the documentation for the folder userCustomization: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd905264(v=office.12).aspx. I have, however, never seen an option in an Office application to store such customizations in a document and was under the impression they'd be stored in a file saved in the user's profile.

Additional information is scarce, but I have turned up some in German. It appears the customUi file in userCustomization uses an addiational namespace than the XML which defines the Ribbon: http://www.office-loesung.de/ftopic266375_0_0_asc.php

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Monday, July 7, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I am using Word 2010.

Monday, July 7, 2014 3:50 PM