How to find date of Bing Maps Aerial image? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a casual user, not a programmer, and just want to know how to find the month, day, and year that a Bing Maps Aerial image was taken.

A reply to my query in the Microsoft Community for Bing Maps referred me to an MSDN Forums post that in turn referred to "the Imagery Metadata map app" with a Bing Maps URL as a solution. (Forum software wouldn't allow me to post the URL.)

When I try this URL, the following always occurs.

1. Bing Maps opens.
    2. In the left pane, a rotating circle appears along with "Just a moment..."
    3. The rotating circle disappears.
    4. A message appears saying "We are unable to load the selected map app. Please try again later."

I also found a post in MSDN Forums - Bing Maps General by a person who said that after Bing Maps opens, he used the "Maps app" tab to find the Imagery Metadata map app.

However, when I open Bing Maps, I don't see a "Maps app" tab.

How can I get to the Imagery Metadata map app?

The "Bing Aerial Imagery Analyzer for OpenStreetMap" is a free third-party application that is a partial solution. It shows the month and year, but not the day, of the image.

Is there a similar third-party solution that also shows the day? Since I'm only occasionally interested in the date data, I'm looking for a free program if possible.

Using Windows 8 Pro (64-bit), Silverlight 5.1.30214.0 (64-bit), Internet Explorer 10 (64-bit), Firefox 29.0.1 (32-bit).

Thank you.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:02 AM

Answers

• Bing used to have this concept of map apps which were like plugins for the map that anyone could create. The problem is that they used Silverlight. Since only a fraction of the users online have Silverlight and Silverlight is not expected to be supported in the future it was decided to remove as much Silverlight content as possible from this page. Currently the only Silverlight functionality is the streetside imagery viewer.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:26 AM
  • There is no day information for the imagery. The imagery is usually captured over a month or two and then stiched together. This means that a single image could be made up of multiple images captured on different days. Bing maps only provides date ranges for imagery through a rest service. There was a Silverlight app on Bing.com/maps a while ago but Silverlight and map apps has since been removed from that site

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by CBReporttor Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Feel free to share my response. I actually created the map app that allowed you to find the age of imagery on bing.com a few years ago before I worked at Microsoft. I know the team who manages the Bing Maps consumer site and will pass this on as a feature request.

As for Google, I know for a fact that the "day" information is not accurate and is a guess. If you required the date of imagery for legal purposes I wouldn't rely on their "day" information.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:26 AM

All replies

• There is no day information for the imagery. The imagery is usually captured over a month or two and then stiched together. This means that a single image could be made up of multiple images captured on different days. Bing maps only provides date ranges for imagery through a rest service. There was a Silverlight app on Bing.com/maps a while ago but Silverlight and map apps has since been removed from that site

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by CBReporttor Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

It's disappointing to learn it's impossible for an ordinary user to get the date of a Bing Aerial image, and that no day information is available at all.

In contrast, the Google Earth for Desktop application shows the month, day, and year of an aerial image. As the user moves around in an image, the different dates that apply to the different parts of the stitched image are displayed.

If it's OK with you, I'd like to post either the text of your reply, or the URL of this thread, in the thread I started at the Microsoft Community for Bing Maps forum where I first asked this question.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Feel free to share my response. I actually created the map app that allowed you to find the age of imagery on bing.com a few years ago before I worked at Microsoft. I know the team who manages the Bing Maps consumer site and will pass this on as a feature request.

As for Google, I know for a fact that the "day" information is not accurate and is a guess. If you required the date of imagery for legal purposes I wouldn't rely on their "day" information.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Thank you for sending this as a requested feature to the Bing Maps team.

Why didn't they just keep your map app available?

Also, thanks for the tip about Google's "day" information.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:00 AM
  • Bing used to have this concept of map apps which were like plugins for the map that anyone could create. The problem is that they used Silverlight. Since only a fraction of the users online have Silverlight and Silverlight is not expected to be supported in the future it was decided to remove as much Silverlight content as possible from this page. Currently the only Silverlight functionality is the streetside imagery viewer.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation about the map apps.

I've posted the URL of this MSDN thread in this Microsoft Community thread.

Thanks again for all your help.

Friday, June 27, 2014 7:43 AM