none
When Remote Desktop to 2008 I can not change display settings on remote Server RRS feed

• Question

• I remote desktop to Server 2008. When I try to change fonts on the remote Server from Control Panel, Display I get message "The display settings can't be changed from a remote session

Please advise on how can I solve this problem.

Thank you in advance
    Armine Bell
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:34 PM

All replies

• Greetings Armine,

You can set a custom display resolution in an .rdp file or from a command prompt.

To set a custom display resolution in an .rdp file 

Open the .rdp file in a text editor. Add or change the following settings

desktopwidth:i:<
    value>

desktopheight:i:<
    value>

where <value> is the resolution, such as 1680 or 1050.

For more information about .rdp file settings, see the article at Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=66168).

To set a custom display resolution from a command prompt 

At a command prompt, use the mstsc.exe command with the following syntax, and then press ENTER.

mstsc.exe /w:<width> /h:<height>

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Harish
    Partner Technical Consultant

Monday, February 1, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Thank you for your reply

I tried your suggestions and by changing height and width I just get different size remote desktop window - actual font stays very small. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you in Advance
    Armine Bell
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Hi Armine,

Thank you for your reply.

You can find more information on WINDOWPOS Structure here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632612.aspx which can help you to resolve your issue.

Please mark this as answer if it helps in resolving your issue.

Regards,

Harish

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:52 PM
  • you are not answering the question.  she (and I) want to know how we can change the FONT SIZE in a remote desktop session.  this was doable on 2003 terminal servers, now it seems in 2008 r2 it is blocked.  how can we do this?
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hi

Did anyone find a solution on this issue?

Regards Lars M

Advizor Hosting, Microsoft Partner
    Monday, April 11, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Dear Harish,

Rule no 1 in providing help is understanding what the question is.  Your 2nd reply is just as irrelevant to the question.  Does anyone know how to change the damn font and icon size in Windows 2008 Remote Desktop according the end-user preference? what a frustrating ordeal!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:39 PM
  • The easiest way to chage the screen resolution is to chnage the display settings in mstsc options.

The display configuration you will opt will be applied to the remote computer connection

thank you

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Oh, is that all?  That was so easy!  :-)

Too bad your answer has nothing to do with the question that is being asked.  The problem here is not changing resolution, it's changing DPI.

It has been confirmed by Microsoft that they stupidly removed this functionality starting with Server 2008.  Dumb dumb dumb.

If you search around, there is a user on another thread who got permission from Microsoft to release a separate tool they made to hack this functionality back in.

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi

If you have the link, would you care to share?

/Lars M

Advizor Hosting, Microsoft Partner
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Microsoft fixed this issue. Follow this link for solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2726399

Worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by treebeard4567 Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:03 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Worked For Me As Well.

Thanks For The Link!

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:04 PM