Advise on buiding different target app

Question

• Dear all,

I need to build a Windows 8 application which should be able to run either on phone, tablet or Desktop.

The key point is all those 3 application are sharing some common like :
    - Get data from a web portal CMS through REST api
    - Data model Library

• Desktop application is using WPF and MVVM light toolkit
    • Desktop application is capable to store data in a local SQL express db
    • App running on phone or table should store data as XML file or SQL light ( more for caching purpose)

Of course on each device the rendering and possitionning of control would be different but I would like to keep WPF in all target and be able to use common MVVM model that will then be bind to respective view

Does all this will work, how should I plan my project and organise it in order to handle the 3 devices ?

That will be my first app and real concrete project so thanks for clear explaination.
    Of course I have browse the Windows dev getting started and all those stuf but prefer to have advise from people who get already field experience on this like best practices

thanks again for your time

regards

serge

Wednesday, February 04, 2015 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi serge,

As I know the phone and tablet using Windows Runtime framework while the desktop app use .NET framework, Runtime framework is similar like normal .net framework, but kind of different on API, see this for more information: .NET for Store apps overview

Besides, here are some porting guideline: Porting WPF and Microsoft Silverlight to WinRT hope this helps.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 05, 2015 6:47 AM
  • Hi wakefun,

Yes, the data model code could be shared, part of XAML code could also shared for instance some common controls like Button, TextBox, etc.

I would suggest you create Windows Runtime Universal app for Windows Phone and Windows Store App, also WPF for desktop app.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, February 06, 2015 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi serge,

As I know the phone and tablet using Windows Runtime framework while the desktop app use .NET framework, Runtime framework is similar like normal .net framework, but kind of different on API, see this for more information: .NET for Store apps overview

Besides, here are some porting guideline: Porting WPF and Microsoft Silverlight to WinRT hope this helps.

--James

Thursday, February 05, 2015 6:47 AM
  • Thanks for the info.
    I was more Thinking of what can be common to Windows desktop, Windows RT and Windows phone.

I think all the datamodel code can be shared between the 3 environnment as well as the view model correct ?

Then I guess just the XAML design part will be different.

I am Thinking on what type of project Template I should create also in orde to be targeted the 3 environement, any idea ?

regards

Thursday, February 05, 2015 7:16 AM
  • Hi wakefun,

Yes, the data model code could be shared, part of XAML code could also shared for instance some common controls like Button, TextBox, etc.

I would suggest you create Windows Runtime Universal app for Windows Phone and Windows Store App, also WPF for desktop app.

--James

Friday, February 06, 2015 2:41 AM
  • HI Jamles,

So if I understand well I need to use the visual studio project Template "Windows Runtime Universal app for Windows Phone and Windows Store App" for mobile and need an Other project Template for Desktop WPF .

So my solution will have 2 projects correct ?

regards

Friday, February 06, 2015 11:35 AM
  • Hi wakefun,

Yes, correct !

However, I personally would not suggest you to put projects in the same solution because it might confuse you when you have universal app template in your solution.

--James

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:48 AM