none
is that necessary to save the error logs to customer's DB RRS feed

• Question

• I know we can query lots of information by Group Overview, is that necessary to save the error logs to customer's DB as well?

Another question is during the development, we may make lots of logs show in event viewer to help us track the message status, shall we delete them before the project go to live?

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Lillian,

It is always best practice to have a centralized exception handling mechanism to log the exception and exception message . BizTalk is being shipped with ESB toolkit having Exception Management   portal which you can leverage to capture exception which occurred during your business process .

ESB Management Portal provides registry provisioning, exception mediation, alert notification, and analytics.

To install ESB toolkit Refer MSDN Link https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj684558.aspx

https://sandroaspbiztalkblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/biztalk-server-2013-r2-installation-and-configuration-install-and-configure-the-microsoft-biztalk-esb-toolkit-part-14/

Now coming to second part of logging ,It is not good practice to write logs in Eventlog .

I would suggest to use CAT tool or debug view for logging purpose .

You can download CAT tool from Codeplex https://btscatifcontroller.codeplex.com/

Thanks

Abhishek

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

there's a phlethora of tools and frameworks to accomplish logging within BizTalk Server applications.

Besides Windows Event Logging frequently used in BizTalk Applications i have experienced are:

- Log4Net component

Microsoft Enterprise Library logging (application block)

The usage of any logging depends not only on technical aspects, very often Business requirements is driving the decision.

Furthermore using Service Management Tools like BMC Remedy might be an good option to provide automation of ticketing workflow in case of errors and exceptions in your BizTalk applications.

hth

Paul Endras
    Endras IT Consulting  |  www.endras.de

If this answers your question and is a helpful post, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/orMark As Answer.

• Marked as answer by Lillian zhang Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:09 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:43 AM
  • You should always try to keep things as simple as possible.  To answer your specific questions:

NO, I would avoid that and actively argue against it.  What appears in the Group Hub is not necessarily error conditions, just the current state of the Group.

Consider the difference between the Event Log and Tracing.  Writing to the Event Log should be a feature of your app and remain constant, DEV through PROD, with meaningful messages.  For Tracing, you can use BizTalk CAT Instrumentation Framework which can be enabled at runtime.  You should not change your source code in either case.

• Marked as answer by Lillian zhang Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:08 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Lillian,

It is always best practice to have a centralized exception handling mechanism to log the exception and exception message . BizTalk is being shipped with ESB toolkit having Exception Management   portal which you can leverage to capture exception which occurred during your business process .

ESB Management Portal provides registry provisioning, exception mediation, alert notification, and analytics.

To install ESB toolkit Refer MSDN Link https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj684558.aspx

https://sandroaspbiztalkblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/biztalk-server-2013-r2-installation-and-configuration-install-and-configure-the-microsoft-biztalk-esb-toolkit-part-14/

Now coming to second part of logging ,It is not good practice to write logs in Eventlog .

I would suggest to use CAT tool or debug view for logging purpose .

You can download CAT tool from Codeplex https://btscatifcontroller.codeplex.com/

Thanks

Abhishek

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Thank you Abhishek.

Will the exception be logged into EsbExceptionDb automatically, without any coding? Thanks!

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

there's a phlethora of tools and frameworks to accomplish logging within BizTalk Server applications.

Besides Windows Event Logging frequently used in BizTalk Applications i have experienced are:

- Log4Net component

Microsoft Enterprise Library logging (application block)

The usage of any logging depends not only on technical aspects, very often Business requirements is driving the decision.

Furthermore using Service Management Tools like BMC Remedy might be an good option to provide automation of ticketing workflow in case of errors and exceptions in your BizTalk applications.

hth

Paul Endras
    Endras IT Consulting  |  www.endras.de

If this answers your question and is a helpful post, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/orMark As Answer.

• Marked as answer by Lillian zhang Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:09 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Thank you Paul. I will check the links applications later when I'm free.

Yes, I cannot agree with you anymore, very often Business requirements is driving the decision.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:06 AM
  • You should always try to keep things as simple as possible.  To answer your specific questions:

NO, I would avoid that and actively argue against it.  What appears in the Group Hub is not necessarily error conditions, just the current state of the Group.

Consider the difference between the Event Log and Tracing.  Writing to the Event Log should be a feature of your app and remain constant, DEV through PROD, with meaningful messages.  For Tracing, you can use BizTalk CAT Instrumentation Framework which can be enabled at runtime.  You should not change your source code in either case.

• Marked as answer by Lillian zhang Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:08 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:41 AM