Hi, I am not able to see server name while creating Host Instance? Can you please help me why Server is not showing in list? Thanks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am not able to see server name as it's blank while creating Host Instance?Can you please help me why Server is not showing in list?

Thanks

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:07 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Just to add as per MSDN

• Hosts are the logical containers of BizTalk objects.
    • Only one instance of a specific host can exist on each server.
    • You can map one host to multiple servers.

while

• Host instances running on the servers are the physical containers of BizTalk objects.
    • You create a host instance when you map a server to a host.
    • Multiple host instances (of different hosts) can exist on a server.

Hence it is the inherent nature of the Biztalk to allow only one HostIntance per server for a particular host in the Biztalk group.

If there are multiple servers in the cluster attached to the same BizTalk group, then for a Host You have the ability to create the HostInstances for all the servers present in the group.

For example....

lets say you have a Host called A in the Biztalk group GRP.

Now there are four servers (1,2,3,4)connceted to the same Biztalk group GRP,

then you will be able to create four host instances each for 1, 2, 3, 4 servers.

Once you createa a host instance for 1...then you will not see the server name again for server1 as already a host instance exist for the same 

For more clarity ...refer to below posted link.

Managing Host and Host Instances

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:53 PM

All replies

• Is this machine where you are trying from joined to a BizTalk Server Group, or is only Admin Console installed on it? Do you mean servername does not show up in the dropdown?

Can you share the exact steps you are performing? (preferably with a screenshot of where server name is not appearing)

Thanks Arindam

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Request you to share more details as this question is too vauge in its current condition to answer based on the given information.

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

At high level it looks there is some credentials related issue. just make sure BTSNTSvc process is running with appropriate user credintials, BizTalk Admin Console should be open with the user having sufficient access. also the user you are login with should have proper access (roles and privileges ) on SQL server.

For better triage please share screenshot information.

Hope this Helps!!!

Please Mark as Answered if you satisfy with Reply.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

just make sure BTSNTSvc process is running with appropriate user credintials

The BTSNSVC.exe runs  when the Host Instances are up and running...if you are not able to create the host instances there is no point in checking the btsntsvc.exe.

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Yes Serername is not show up in dropdown
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Is this a working BizTalk Server environment? How many servers are there in the Group?

Are you able to do other Admin operations from Admin Console like view running/suspended instances etc.?

Thanks Arindam

Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:15 AM
  • Actually I noticed that  "Biztalk Runtime" component in Biztalk configuration is reconfigured when I try to configure it ...its giving me error like  "host and  host instances are already exist. I think it may be the cause of not showing the server up in the drop down.

Note: only one server is installed.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Hi

Only one Host Instance of a particular Host can exist on a server. So, if you have two Hosts in your Group, you can create a maximum  of two Host Instances on your server. If you had two servers, you could have created two Host Instances on that server as well.

So, I don't think you have any issue.

Thanks Arindam

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Hi ,

Just to add as per MSDN

• Hosts are the logical containers of BizTalk objects.
    • Only one instance of a specific host can exist on each server.
    • You can map one host to multiple servers.

while

• Host instances running on the servers are the physical containers of BizTalk objects.
    • You create a host instance when you map a server to a host.
    • Multiple host instances (of different hosts) can exist on a server.

Hence it is the inherent nature of the Biztalk to allow only one HostIntance per server for a particular host in the Biztalk group.

If there are multiple servers in the cluster attached to the same BizTalk group, then for a Host You have the ability to create the HostInstances for all the servers present in the group.

For example....

lets say you have a Host called A in the Biztalk group GRP.

Now there are four servers (1,2,3,4)connceted to the same Biztalk group GRP,

then you will be able to create four host instances each for 1, 2, 3, 4 servers.

Once you createa a host instance for 1...then you will not see the server name again for server1 as already a host instance exist for the same 

For more clarity ...refer to below posted link.

Managing Host and Host Instances

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:53 PM