none
Microsoft Developer Studio VS 97 project does not contain any configurations whose platforms are supported. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Community of the MSDN Forums,

I'm using the following: Windows 98 SE, Win 98 SDK, DDK, Visual Studio 97 Enterprise and VS 97 Service Pack 3. (and VMware Workstation 15 player)

I have a copy of the HP2 source code installed.

When I open the project's .dsw -file, I get the following error message:

Microsoft Developer Studio : "This project does not contain any configurations whose platforms are supported by this installation of Developer Studio. You will need to create a new supported configuration before you will be able to build, run, or debug your project."

When I build any active Project, almost all of them return 79 error(s) and 5 warning(s). https://1drv.ms/t/s!Avqi6Pt1BGP3gbp-KdbNb6K-K7sRqg .

What did I do wrong, What do I need and what do I gotta do now?

And else: How to create a new supported configuration?

I'll put the hyperlinks here once my account has been verified.

This thread has an answer on StackOverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55819422/microsoft-developer-studio-vs-97-project-does-not-contain-any-configurations-who

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Kevin Crans

• Edited by kevincrans Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:59 PM Solved on StackOverflow
    Monday, April 22, 2019 6:49 PM

Answers

• Dear Communtity of the MSDN Forums,

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen on StackOverflow helped me out, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55819422/microsoft-developer-studio-vs-97-project-does-not-contain-any-configurations-who

Even though in the Assembly Files was written it's for Visual C++ 5, in the header of other project files there was written Visual C++ 6, meaning that the project has been updated during the project.

I only have one question, which file did you browse to find out the Visual C++ version?

Someone also mentioned and removed later it was written for Borland IDE, which version to be specifically?

Sincerely,

Kevin Crans

• Marked as answer by kevincrans Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:58 PM
    • Edited by kevincrans Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:29 AM added questions
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:57 PM

All replies

• Generally speaking, a narrative description of problems encountered that omits detailed information makes it very difficult to diagnose the issues.  For example, post the actual errors received when attempting to build a project.

You mention downloading source code and receiving errors when attempting to open the projects .dsw file.  Provide enough information about the projects/code that you downloaded so that someone else could download the same projects/code and try to reproduce your problems.

Help us to help you.

Monday, April 22, 2019 10:19 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, I'll edit the topic, once my account has been verified and once more when I'm connected to the better wifi.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:03 PM
  • If you want to add more information I suggest you do it in another post to the thread.

When someone edits a previous post and makes significant changes it breaks the continuity of the discussion and the unedited responses to the original post no longer make sense. :)

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:24 PM
  • I took a quick look at the link posted for the source/projects.  The related download is a 375 MB compressed file that is described as containing "The included data is a mixture of a full game build, various developer tools, source code, and source assets."

On its face, this seems substantially more complex than trying to open a .dsw file using an old version of VS that I might have tucked away.

I am reluctant to deal with a download of such nature from an unknown source.  Call me paranoid, but this is more than source code and some old VS project files.

I wish you luck and hope that some other community member is of a mind to undertake the task of reproducing the environment and assisting you.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:19 PM
  • I understand it's random to you, but it is an ancient game I grew up with.

It is not complete though and I'm planning on removing the links when my problem is solved, but will do it earlier now.

The error though is not program specific, maybe a configuration is set wrong or an environment variable to the wrong version of the C/C++ compiler or assembler because the amount of errors is consistent.

I hope someone can give me a generic explanation for this, and you don't have to use it to give some concrete solution that applies to all source code.

But I do think I know the right person who can help me.

My question is should I keep the link up?

Thank you for your advise and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Kevin Crans

• Edited by kevincrans Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:01 PM added moral of the story
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:46 PM
  • I don't see any particular harm in leaving the link.  Its up to individual community members to visit the linked site and download the materials at their discretion.

Again, perhaps if you posted the details of some of the error messages a clue would be present.  In the absence of information, its just a guessing game.

Best of luck.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:09 PM
  • Thank you for your reply!

Also thanks for the information, because I didn't know what to do.

I have a tiny problem with sharing the error in VMware, but it's coming up soon.

Sorry if my post seems to be somewhat alive, because I'm editing a lot.

But now I know what to do, so thanks!

Sincerely,

Kevin Crans

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:15 PM
  • Dear Communtity of the MSDN Forums,

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen on StackOverflow helped me out, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55819422/microsoft-developer-studio-vs-97-project-does-not-contain-any-configurations-who

Even though in the Assembly Files was written it's for Visual C++ 5, in the header of other project files there was written Visual C++ 6, meaning that the project has been updated during the project.

I only have one question, which file did you browse to find out the Visual C++ version?

Someone also mentioned and removed later it was written for Borland IDE, which version to be specifically?

Sincerely,

Kevin Crans

• Marked as answer by kevincrans Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:58 PM
    • Edited by kevincrans Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:29 AM added questions
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:57 PM