MSChart in visual studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a problem regarding solutions that I have to develop. I work in a company which has a standard of NET Framework 3.5.
    Also the company has bought Visual Studio 2010 Premium for me. I need to develop an application in which I have to insert som Charts. Previosly in Visual Studio 2008 Express was very simple because I have installed MSChart Addon from Microsoft.

The problem with VS2010 Premium is that I cannot create aplication with charts in NET Framework 3.5, only in .NET 4 but I cannot develop solutions in NET Framework 4.0 because, like I have said, the company standard installation is NET Framework 3.5, so my application will not run

Can somebody please help me?

Thanks in advance, Ciprian LUPU
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:48 AM

Answers

• Hello Ciprian,

Thanks for your post.

If you use .NET framework 3.5, as John suggested, please try to download the charting control for .NET Framework 3.5 from here and install it.  It won't appear in the tool box until you instal the add-ons. I recommend you could try Microsoft Chart Control Forum for more better support where discusses this aspect issues. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to follow up.

Have a nice day.

Best regards

Liliane Teng [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Ciprian Lupu Monday, March 7, 2011 6:39 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 5:30 AM

All replies

• What you need to do is create your project as a ..Net 4.0 project, add your control, then set the project to be built as a 3.5 project.  I believe there is a way to add the chart control to the toolbox when using 3.5 initially, but this way is easier in my opinion.  To set the project .net version, use the project properties, advanced compile options button on the compile tab.

Hope this helps. 

--
    Mike
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 12:43 PM
  • When I turn from 4.0 to NET 3.5 I cannot compile the solution because I have an error (The chart is not recognized in 3.5)
    So, this is not a way of solving my problem...
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:05 PM
  • If you don't have a Chart (3.5.0.0) on the Choose Items .NET tab when you target the 3.5 framework, download and install it again.
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:01 PM

• Does it compile successfully in 4.0?

--
    Mike
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 5:34 PM
  • in 4.0 everything is ok, but in 3.5 I do not have a chart on tools

and of course I cannot compile solution without errors.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:36 PM

• I would try John's suggestion.  I do not have the chart tool in the toolbox when targeting 3.5 either, so I don't think that is a problem.  I do not however get a compiler error when 1) building a form with 4.0, then 2) switching to 3.5, and lastly 3) compiling with 3.5 as the target.

--
    Mike
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:48 PM
  • I would try John's suggestion.  I do not have the chart tool in the toolbox when targeting 3.5 either, so I don't think that is a problem.  I do not however get a compiler error when 1) building a form with 4.0, then 2) switching to 3.5, and lastly 3) compiling with 3.5 as the target.
    I don't either, but I have 4 total chart entries:  2 Web and 2 WF with a (3.5.0.0) version for each.  When I switch from 4.0 to 3.5, the chart version changes from 4.0 to 3.5.  Check Programs and Features for "Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5".
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Hello Ciprian,

Thanks for your post.

If you use .NET framework 3.5, as John suggested, please try to download the charting control for .NET Framework 3.5 from here and install it.  It won't appear in the tool box until you instal the add-ons. I recommend you could try Microsoft Chart Control Forum for more better support where discusses this aspect issues. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to follow up.

Have a nice day.

Best regards

Liliane Teng [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Ciprian Lupu Monday, March 7, 2011 6:39 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 5:30 AM