none
Can Availablity sets and zones be used together? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

The documentation and real world examples of availability zones appears to be limited on Microsoft's site. How would one actually leverage availability zones? For example, I have two domain controllers that I would like to split across 2 physical locations for availability. Do I simply set each one up as individual virtual machines, then in the availbility zone drop down field choose 1 and 2.

Is it as simple as this? The same goes for SQL servers. Am I missing something, do I still need to put them in availability sets as well as zones or are sets redundant when using zones. 

Thanks

Thursday, August 29, 2019 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You cannot use both Availability Sets and Availability Zones together, you can use only one of them.

Both Availability Sets and Availability Zones are High Availability options with 99.95% and 99.99% SLA respectively.

In Availability Sets, the VM's are deployed in the same data-center and isolated between physical servers with multiple fault and update domains to avoid down time caused by power failures, patch reboots etc.

Placement Group is also similar to availability set.

An Availability Zone is separate set of physical data-centers within a region.

Based on your use case, you can pick one of these option when deploying VM's.

Also, check these below links for more details:

If any of the provided suggestion helped your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and "Up-Vote" on the post that helped you, so that other forum members can benefit from it.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You cannot use both Availability Sets and Availability Zones together, you can use only one of them.

Both Availability Sets and Availability Zones are High Availability options with 99.95% and 99.99% SLA respectively.

In Availability Sets, the VM's are deployed in the same data-center and isolated between physical servers with multiple fault and update domains to avoid down time caused by power failures, patch reboots etc.

Placement Group is also similar to availability set.

An Availability Zone is separate set of physical data-centers within a region.

Based on your use case, you can pick one of these option when deploying VM's.

Also, check these below links for more details:

If any of the provided suggestion helped your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and "Up-Vote" on the post that helped you, so that other forum members can benefit from it.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 1:11 PM
  • Please go through below article published on MS TechNet wiki it may helps you. Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/51828.azure-vms-availability-sets-and-availability-zones.aspx

Please click "Mark as Answer" if it solved your issue and/or "Vote as helpful" if it helped. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:15 PM