Get Value by ID RRS feed

• Question

• I have a column "Products" in a document library which is currently having value "12345". There is another list which have the "productID" and "product name" column in it and for "12345" productID there is a matching product name. When a workflow is initiated on the document library, how do I fetch the product name with respect to the ID in the document library column? Or, Is there some way that I can pull the product names on to the document library before attaching to a workflow?

smith

Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:48 PM

Answers

• When a workflow is initiated on the document library, how do I fetch the product name with respect to the ID in the document library column?

In your SharePoint designer workflow, you can use "Set Field in Current Item" action" to fetch the product name with respect to the ID in the document library.

This is how the fetching logic looks like in my lab.  Basically, you need to specify:

• where to retrieve the data from (field: Data Source) 
    • which column the value should be returned from (field: Field from source)
    • filters to return a single value (section: Find the list item).

Is there some way that I can pull the product names on to the document library before attaching to a workflow?

I thought you can use a lookup to do so. This is how it looks like.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:27 PM

All replies

• When a workflow is initiated on the document library, how do I fetch the product name with respect to the ID in the document library column?

In your SharePoint designer workflow, you can use "Set Field in Current Item" action" to fetch the product name with respect to the ID in the document library.

This is how the fetching logic looks like in my lab.  Basically, you need to specify:

• where to retrieve the data from (field: Data Source) 
    • which column the value should be returned from (field: Field from source)
    • filters to return a single value (section: Find the list item).

Is there some way that I can pull the product names on to the document library before attaching to a workflow?

I thought you can use a lookup to do so. This is how it looks like.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Thanks Jason

Also, can you assist me with this issue? Thanks.

smith

• Edited by Smithspd Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:09 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:08 PM