none
just a DLL and .reg file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

if I was just given a DLL from a subproject that someone else built, along with the .reg file, could I somehow include this in my NK.bin build?  Or do I need more info?  I know the architecture the subproject DLL was built for, and I'm building for the same one.

Thanks,

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:59 PM

Answers

• Since this is CE 6.0, you can modifiy your project.bib and project.reg in your OSDesign Files folder - C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\OSDesign1\OSDesign1\Wince600\CEPC_x86\OAK\FILES.  You will also put the dll in this folder.

The bib file setting would be something like:

MyDriver.dll  $(_FLATRELEASEDIR)\MyDriver.dll   NK SHK

Which you should put in the modules section

#4 and 5, yes, or from the Build menu whichever you are more comfortable using.   But in hind sight, the project files are sysgened, so you need to sysgen the project first.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    • Marked as answer by mr_jeff Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:02 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 4:28 PM

All replies

• You don't say which version of the OS you are working with, or how the DLL is used, but yes you can easily add them.

1. Add an entry for the DLL to either project.bib or osdesign.bib (depends on the version) and how you add it depends on how the DLL is used
    2. Add the REG file contents to either project.reg or project.bib (depends on the version)
    3. Add the DLL file to the OSDesign FILES folder
    4. Run buildrel
    5. Run makeimg

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Sorry, I'm using CE 6.  Regarding how the DLL is used, the DLL supports a piece of hardware, so when that hardware is present I want to call CreateFile() and have the DLL driver loaded so I can talk to that hardware with WriteFile and ReadFile, etc.

Regarding your #1 above: do you mean the project.bib in my subproject that uses the driver, or the project.bib in C:\WINCE600\PUBLIC\CEBASE\OAK\FILES?  Knowing how the DLL is used, can you say more on how to add it?

Regarding your #2 above: knowing that I'm using CE 6, do I want to modify project.reg or project.bib?  Again, the one in the subproject or the one in C:\WINCE600\PUBLIC\CEBASE\OAK\FILES?

Regarding your #3 above: do you mean C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\OSDesign1\OSDesign1\Wince600\CEPC_x86\cesysgen\oak\files OR C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\OSDesign1\OSDesign1\Wince600\CEPC_x86\OAK?

Regarding your #4 above: Just run C:\WINCE600\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\MISC\buildrel.bat from the command line?

Regarding your #5 above: Just run C:\WINCE600\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\BIN\I386\makeimg.exe from the command line?

And this will result in an NK.bin?

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Since this is CE 6.0, you can modifiy your project.bib and project.reg in your OSDesign Files folder - C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\OSDesign1\OSDesign1\Wince600\CEPC_x86\OAK\FILES.  You will also put the dll in this folder.

The bib file setting would be something like:

MyDriver.dll  $(_FLATRELEASEDIR)\MyDriver.dll   NK SHK

Which you should put in the modules section

#4 and 5, yes, or from the Build menu whichever you are more comfortable using.   But in hind sight, the project files are sysgened, so you need to sysgen the project first.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    • Marked as answer by mr_jeff Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:02 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Create your own subproject, and add the reg & BIB settings in this project.
    This way, you don't modify anything outside your osdesigns folder (which I believe is good practice),
    and your new project will be portable if you (for example) switch BSP.
    Your reg & bib settings will be merged automatically during build, you only need to copy your DLL file from your subprojectfolder to release folder, use premakeimg buildstep for this.

Rob.
    www.robtso.nl

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:21 AM