none
Working on offline maps RRS feed

• Question

• I want to work on programs dealing with maps.

What I have in my mind as the main idea is that there should be kind of offline map data of a country or a city, for example , that I can define some buildings  with   coordinates   on the map with my program. Something like google map and streets names.

What's your suggestion ?

Thanks in advance

Friday, May 18, 2018 10:52 PM

All replies

• Kevin,

That's a broad range of possibilities.

A lot depends on the map content you have to display. What is it? Do you have a grid of image maps of the city or country?

What scale is the map shown at? Can it be zoomed closeup? Scroll the view? What information is added to the map (besides whats on the map already if any). Contents, indexes? etc.

You could use something like Bing maps but that requires bing maps and internet etc. So your map source becomes critical.

Friday, May 18, 2018 11:10 PM
  • Kevin,

That's a broad range of possibilities.

A lot depends on the map content you have to display. What is it? Do you have a grid of image maps of the city or country?

What scale is the map shown at? Can it be zoomed closeup? Scroll the view? What information is added to the map (besides whats on the map already if any). Contents, indexes? etc.

You could use something like Bing maps but that requires bing maps and internet etc. So your map source becomes critical.

Well, first of all , I mentioned offline maps  because as far as I know it is not possible to work on  online map services provided by Bing or  Google or ... . I can't edit or define any coordinates with contents (name of the spot , details , images ...) in that case . So no any choice else but to download offline map data of the zone I want and upload it to my servers (In this case, users only download the area they want : less program size )

If the data I provide myself with is collection of images , then it would be critical , nearly impossible, to define coordinates on an image. it might be zoomed and ... .

Friday, May 18, 2018 11:26 PM
  • You can absolutely work on top of online maps.  There are all kinds of APIs available for consuming map data and enhancing it with your specific functionality.

For Bing Maps, use their API guidance:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/choose-your-bing-maps-api

Google has their own developer APIs as well:  https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Saturday, May 19, 2018 7:25 AM
    Saturday, May 19, 2018 12:48 AM
  • Its probably worth noting though that this is not a good place to start your development journey.  This kind of application would be considered intermediate to advanced, so you should already have a solid understanding of the .Net framework, APIs, application design, etc. before attempting something ambitious like this.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Saturday, May 19, 2018 12:51 AM
  • You can also do a lot by drawing your own if one knows how to do that.

A prime example of what I meant by needing a solid understanding of the framework.  :)

Saturday, May 19, 2018 4:30 AM
  • I'm really thankful to you dear friend for guiding me, I aim to go for it and learn more about maps and your suggestions

• Edited by Kevin993 Saturday, May 19, 2018 10:45 AM
    Saturday, May 19, 2018 10:44 AM
  • Thanks dude, I understand what you mean by that. It is obviously difficult to do such a thing , at least for me :)

Saturday, May 19, 2018 10:45 AM