none
WCF Test Client Version 11 (VS 2012) stand alone install RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to run some automated tests that use the WCF Test Client installed with VS 2012. I need to install the WCF Test Cleint (v11) in stand alone mode on my VMs. I have seen instructions on the web for previous versions of the client, but those instructions don't work for the new version. The newer version appears to be looking for some sort of a Registry Value. If some one could include a list of required files and the registry values needed that would be greatly appreciated. I need instructions for WcfTestClient version 11 due to some of the differences in the way the client displays the returned data in older versions.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:28 PM

Answers

• Micorsoft .Net Framework 4.0 Multi-Targeting Pack and Microsoft.Net Framework 4.5 are installed on the target machines. Should I uninstall the 4.0?

• Marked as answer by AdamMDavis Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:33 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2013 3:00 PM
  • You need not. Looking to the stack trace it seems, it has a dependency on windows SDK 7.1 or 8.0.

Lingaraj Mishra

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to use the wcf test client without installing the visual studio.

Here are the minimum files you need to sent to your client:

1. Microsoft.VisualStudio.VirtualTreeGrid.dll
    2. SvcUtil.exe
    3. SvcUtil.exe.config
    4. WcfSvcHost.chm
    5. WcfSvcHost.exe
    6. WcfSvcHost.exe.config
    7. WcfTestClient.chm
    8. WcfTestClient.exe
    9. WcfTestClient.exe.config

For more information, please try to refer to:
    #Running WcfTestClient Standalone:
    http://www.shloemi.com/2013/01/running-wcftestclient-without-vs-net-20xx/ .

#Running WcfTestClient Tool in a PC without VS.Net 2008:
    http://chenhaoyork.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/running-wcftestclient-tool-in-a-pc-without-vs-net-2008/ .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 6, 2013 5:38 AM
  • As I mentioned in my previous post earlier version of the "Stand Alone" install instructions don't work with the WcfTestClient (v11) that comes with VS2012. Both of these posts I have tried already. The client is looking for some sort of a Registry value that it can't find, what is that registry value? I need instruction specifically for version 11.
    • Edited by AdamMDavis Friday, December 6, 2013 3:33 PM
    Friday, December 6, 2013 3:24 PM

• A clue-

Is .Net framework 4.5 installed on target system? The reason I am asking is, your mscorlib is loaded from C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/ folder instead of C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.5

mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18052 built by: FX45RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

Lingaraj Mishra

Monday, December 9, 2013 9:40 AM
  • Micorsoft .Net Framework 4.0 Multi-Targeting Pack and Microsoft.Net Framework 4.5 are installed on the target machines. Should I uninstall the 4.0?

Monday, December 9, 2013 3:00 PM
  • You need not. Looking to the stack trace it seems, it has a dependency on windows SDK 7.1 or 8.0.

Lingaraj Mishra

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:19 PM
  • This was the key. I needed to install Windows SDK 8.0. I image that the .Net Framework 4.5 is also a needed, but I think I saw that as part of hte SDK 8.0 install. Thanks Lingaraj!!
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:33 PM
  • I copied all the files, and I also created some registry keys (from this article) - but I was sill getting registry issues.  

I installed the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows 8 and it started working.

• Edited by cyrusdowney Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:14 PM
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:10 PM