Do we need to isntall the test controller on tfs build machine RRS feed

• Question

• I woudl like to execute the coded ui tests from test manager using physical environment. Where do we need to isntall the test controller? on tfs build machine?
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi UITester_500,

In order to register the test controller with one team project collection, you must be a member of the Project Collection Administrator group. And in order to select the appropriate test controller when create one physical environment, you have to register that test controller with the team project collection. So, for your scenario, you will either first have the required permissions or ask your team project collection administrator to register the test controller for you.

To check out the domain of a computer, please right-click Computer->Properties->then you will find the Domain under the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings pane.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by UITester_500 Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:04 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi UITester_500,

No, you are not restricted to install the test controller on the TFS build machine. You can install it on any physical machine which is in the same domain as TFS.

When you create physical environment, you can choose the test controller from the Test controller to run tests on this environment dropdown list. As you would like to run Coded UI tests, also check the Configure environment to run UI tests checkbox. See this screenshot:

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:29 AM
  • I installed on my machine. But I couldn't register with the Team project selection as I am not an adminsitrator of the TFS.

How do i know that that my machine is in the same domain of TFS or not? Can you explain please?

• Edited by UITester_500 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:10 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Hi UITester_500,

In order to register the test controller with one team project collection, you must be a member of the Project Collection Administrator group. And in order to select the appropriate test controller when create one physical environment, you have to register that test controller with the team project collection. So, for your scenario, you will either first have the required permissions or ask your team project collection administrator to register the test controller for you.

To check out the domain of a computer, please right-click Computer->Properties->then you will find the Domain under the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings pane.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by UITester_500 Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:04 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:09 AM