none
App no longer responds to touch after monitor is turned off and on. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an app that uses RealyTimeStylus in async way to support touch. It works well. However, recently I just found an issue. When I turned off the monitor which supports multi touch and then turn it on. The task bar tray pops up two messages in sequence: "MultiTouch Device 25...08 is disconnected" then "MultiTouch Device 25...08 is connected". Now the app no longer responds to touch input. But it still responds to mouse input or digitizer input. Windows 7 is not affected. It still reponds to touch. Seems only the app is affected. I am not sure what's going on. Looks like the app needs listen to some event related to monitor turn off/on and be alive just like win7. But I don't know how. I am new to this. Can you help? Any guide is apprieciated!

Thanks,

Fan

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Some more interesting findings:

I still don't know why it happens. But to fix it, I need to reinitialize RTS.

I tried the RTS sample in windows SDK ( the managed code version), which can be found at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Samples\tabletpc\realtimestylusplugin\cs. It has exactly the same issue. After you turn off and turn on touch monitor, the area where you can draw lines before no long reponds to touch input.

Still, does any one know why this happens and is there a way to detect?

Thanks,

Fan

Friday, January 7, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Just to be clear:

• You have an external monitor attached to your PC, this is your Touch screen.
    • Turn it off, turn it on.
    • Tablet PC apps stop working but mouse still works?

Does this happen if you do this in OneNote or Windows Journal?  If so, it might be a hardware issue with the screen.  I haven't seen this issue before, but will test it out with the sample soon.

-Gus

Saturday, January 8, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Just checked the docs and if you are creating a managed application, you can handle the following events in your scenarios by handling the following events in the IStylusAsyncPlugin interface you implemented in your app:

Hope that helps!

-Gus

Saturday, January 8, 2011 12:59 AM
  • RTS doesn't handle PnP events but leaves it to user. As gclassy said, the TabletAdded/TabletRemoved events have to be hooked up in DataInstreset.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:33 PM