none
Outlook Ribbon - can two ribbons each written in C++ and VB.net be put into Outlook at the same time? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Outlook experts

I am developing a ribbon in VB.NET for my workplace but it seems that my work Outlook already has a ribbon and a side menu bar drop down that are written is C++. Would this cause conflict?

Thanks

Friday, March 7, 2014 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hello William,

You can put controls from different add-in written in C++ and VB.NET into a single Tab.

You just need to declare your own namespace in the first element of the Ribbon XML markup (see the customUI tag), in addition to the default namespace. Then you need to use the idQ attribute in conjunction with your namespace alias, instead of the id attribute for those tabs (or groups) you want to share between add-ins. For example:

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui" xmlns:n="http://ISBN3-86063-989-7.com/RibbonXML" onLoad="ribbonLoad" >

<ribbon>
        <tabs>
            <tab idQ="n:MyAddins" label="My Add-ins">

Note that you can use any URI you want as your namespace, but you should try to make it unique and not something easily guessed by others who might try to "break" your Ribbon. This is an example from a book with that ISBN number, which would make it unique. And there is no website corresponding to the URI. But for a VSTO Add-in, the namespace you use must be the name of the VSTO Add-in (which is the ProgID). 

Finally, you can read more about this in the series or articles in MSDN:

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 3 of 3)

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 2 of 3)

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 1 of 3)

Friday, March 7, 2014 9:57 AM
  • Unless you want to share between the existing custom ribbon and yours there shouldn't be a conflict. If you want to share the ribbon with the other code you'd need to know the namespace for that ribbon, which may not be available to you.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, March 7, 2014 4:25 PM
  • No I have created a new ribbon which I wanna add to the outlook 2010 at my work for 60 or so users. Eugene - I've designed my ribbon from visual studio. Isnt this an alternative to using xml code? 
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 4:04 AM
  • You certainly can use the VSTO ribbon designer and there should be no conflicts with any other custom ribbons unless they're repurposing commands you also are repurposing.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:52 PM
  • Hi William,

The Ribbon designer is used for composing the XML markup under the hood. It allows you to export the generated markup. I.e. this is not an alternative way, it is just a tool for generating the markup.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:37 PM