Windows Mobile 5.0 app RRS feed

• Question

• I trying to learn how to programing in C++ right now. I want to learn programing Windows mobile app. Is that possible in Express? How do I do if that is possible? Where can I learn that? Thanks for your help!

Sunday, June 11, 2006 3:32 PM

Answers

•  Daniel Beravi wrote:
    I really want to programing with Visual C++ Express Edition beacause I don't have to much HD space and I am only a beginner at programing.

I don't want to pay for a new editor and a compilator... I want to learn programing mobile app just in Express Edition because that.

I wonder if it is possible to get that for free (it's OK if it cost some money but not to much) in Express Edition. It's OK if the kit (or something like that) is not from MS.

Some thoughts,

1. I don't think being a beginner and wanting to program mobile applications go very well together.  My suggestion:
      • Use Visual C++ 2005 (or Visual C# 2005) Express Editions while you are learning the language.
      • You can solve the Mobile question when you are past the beginner stage.  Making windows applications of any kind should be your first objective.

2. Processor speed and hard disk capacity matter for the Visual Studio Express Editions. 
      • The Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition CD-ROM is 462MB and it will take more space on your hard drive.
      • For a beginner you want all of it (except you won't need SQL Server Express Edition to work toward mobile development).
      • I do not know that Visual C++ 2005 EE is available on CD-ROM.  You will probably have to be able to download the whole image and burn your own CD-ROM.  (I do not recommend web installs, but you may have to do it that way.)
      • Visual C# 2005 EE and the Visual Web Developer Express Edition can all be found on CD-ROMs in the back of inexpensive books.  They also provide useful information for beginners.  Look for titles in the Build a Program Now! series.

3. It may be possible to use the Microsoft SDKs for Mobile, but you have to remember that significant processor power and hard disk capacity is needed (for the mobile emulators and all of the materials).  
      • But if they say they need Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition, I would take their word for it. 
      • I am not a mobile developer myself and I know of no alternatives for the mobile solutions that are based on Windows Mobile. 
      • For non-Windows mobile solutions, you need to go to the mobile provider (e.g., Nokia), but they will have entirely different development requirements and VC++ 2005 Express Edition may still be no help.
      • This forum (on VC++ Express Edition) is not a good resource for details on mobile development.  You should look for a Forum that is focused on that technology, like the Mobile PC and Tablet PC Development forum.
      • And right here is the perfect place for being a beginner with the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition .

- Dennis

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:04 PM

All replies

•  Daniel Beravi wrote:

II want to learn programing Windows mobile app. Is that possible in Express? How do I do if that is possible? Where can I learn that?

There are free SDKs for Windows Mobile.  There is a comprehensive development site.  You can order a DVD with the free Windows Mobile 5.0 Developer Resource Kit.

If you don't want to order the DVD, you can download a subset or even individual SDKs directly from Microsoft.  For example, there is a Windows Mobile SDK for Pocket PC.  (There are different SDKs available for different mobile platforms.)

All o fthe documentation that I have found requires Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition, at least.  The resource kit (DVD only) includes a 90-day trial of that edition.

If you are just learning C++, I would use Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition for your learning.  You can review all of the documentation for the Windows Mobile SDK on-line and, when you are ready, obtain the resource kit. 

Windows Mobile devices also supports a mobile version of .NET.  You may find that the learning curve is simpler by starting with Visual C# 2005 Express Edition instead of learning how to make native Win32 applications and using the Platform SDK.  It's your choice, but learning to develop windows applications in C# should be much easier and smoother, so long as you're willing to depend on .NET for runtime.

Sunday, June 11, 2006 6:48 PM
  • Thank you orcmid! I really want to programing with Visual C++ Express Edition beacause I don't have to much HD space and I am only a beginner at programing. I don't want to pay for a new editor and a compilator... I want to learn programing mobile app just in Express Edition because that. I wonder if it is possible to get that for free (it's OK if it cost some money but not to much) in Express Edition. It's OK if the kit (or something like that) is not from MS.
    Monday, June 12, 2006 1:47 PM
  •  Daniel Beravi wrote:
    I really want to programing with Visual C++ Express Edition beacause I don't have to much HD space and I am only a beginner at programing.

I don't want to pay for a new editor and a compilator... I want to learn programing mobile app just in Express Edition because that.

I wonder if it is possible to get that for free (it's OK if it cost some money but not to much) in Express Edition. It's OK if the kit (or something like that) is not from MS.

Some thoughts,

1. I don't think being a beginner and wanting to program mobile applications go very well together.  My suggestion:
      • Use Visual C++ 2005 (or Visual C# 2005) Express Editions while you are learning the language.
      • You can solve the Mobile question when you are past the beginner stage.  Making windows applications of any kind should be your first objective.

2. Processor speed and hard disk capacity matter for the Visual Studio Express Editions. 
      • The Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition CD-ROM is 462MB and it will take more space on your hard drive.
      • For a beginner you want all of it (except you won't need SQL Server Express Edition to work toward mobile development).
      • I do not know that Visual C++ 2005 EE is available on CD-ROM.  You will probably have to be able to download the whole image and burn your own CD-ROM.  (I do not recommend web installs, but you may have to do it that way.)
      • Visual C# 2005 EE and the Visual Web Developer Express Edition can all be found on CD-ROMs in the back of inexpensive books.  They also provide useful information for beginners.  Look for titles in the Build a Program Now! series.

3. It may be possible to use the Microsoft SDKs for Mobile, but you have to remember that significant processor power and hard disk capacity is needed (for the mobile emulators and all of the materials).  
      • But if they say they need Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition, I would take their word for it. 
      • I am not a mobile developer myself and I know of no alternatives for the mobile solutions that are based on Windows Mobile. 
      • For non-Windows mobile solutions, you need to go to the mobile provider (e.g., Nokia), but they will have entirely different development requirements and VC++ 2005 Express Edition may still be no help.
      • This forum (on VC++ Express Edition) is not a good resource for details on mobile development.  You should look for a Forum that is focused on that technology, like the Mobile PC and Tablet PC Development forum.
      • And right here is the perfect place for being a beginner with the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition .

- Dennis

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:04 PM
  • Thank you very very much, Dennis!
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:15 PM
  •  orcmid wrote:

Daniel Beravi wrote:

Some thoughts,

Apparently pleas for easy ways to work with Windows Mobile have been heard!

Alfred Thomson just posted information about Windows Mobile starter kits on his blog.

Unfortunately, it looks like you need a commercial version of Visual Studio 2005 and you'll need the Mobile PC SDK as well.

Still, one might get a clue about this by looking at the one Starter Kit that is in VC++.  This is not my area and I won't be exploring it further. 

- Dennis

Monday, August 28, 2006 7:30 PM