none
Visual Studio 2017 Member List - How to keep certain filters persistent / active?

Question

• I'm unable to set the Member List Filters to stay enabled, so it can show Macros and #define constants, whenever I'm typing these out. 

There are no shortcuts for showing more results when the Member List is displayed. 

Even pressing Alt+M (which should show Macros) would instead open up the Menu Options instead:

Where can I set the options in the Tools / Options... for the Members List to keep certain Member List Filters active?

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Tom_Befrugal,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> I'm unable to set the Member List Filters to stay enabled, so it can show Macros and #define constants, whenever I'm typing these out. 

As far as I know, now there has no such option to keep this filter since it may be change every time per your requirement. But there is a feature ‘Predictive IntelliSense’ and it make the IntelliSense list is more careful about selecting which item you are intending to type, by predicting and selecting the most likely item you would like based on your current context. You can turn it on by going to Tools > Options > Text Editor > C/C++ > Experimental > Enable Predictive IntelliSense. For more detail information, please have a look at this: C++ IntelliSense Improvements – Predictive IntelliSense & Filtering. You can also try to use the shortcut of each filter type like Alt+M, Alt+F,…. to directly filter the members list.

>>There are no shortcuts for showing more results when the Member List is displayed. 

I tried it on my side when the member lists already appear and if I press the shortcut like Alt + M (Method) and only the members whose type is method are filter out like the following. If you press Alt + M to invoke other behavior, please confirm your current focus is beside the code that you typed.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:31 AM
  • I've gone through the article linked above, and here's what it said:

Of the following quote that is highlighted in gray, it mentioned that if "Enable Predictive IntelliSense" is on, invoking the Members List (CTRL+J) should remove the Predictive filter and should behave just like what it was in previous Visual Studio releases.

So, I have that option enabled:

Note that I have a red arrow showing the line of code that I'm about to test with, which is the macro defined constant, CW_USEDEFAULT.

Now, following what you've described earlier:

I tried it on my side when the member lists already appear and if I press the shortcut like Alt + M (Method) and only the members whose type is method are filter out like the following.

This is what happens:

After pressing the ALT+M hotkey to enable the Macro/Defined Constants filter in the Predictive Filter, it would instead open up the Menu Option in the toolbar.

Can you please clarify how you did it to make it worked? Thanks.

My final verdict is that the documentation you have linked in your post is incorrect, the option should be turned off (not on). It is also true that the Context Menu focus is still on the IDE and not on the Context Menu, otherwise I would've already have it showing the macros and defined constants in the Context Menu, if ALT+M hotkey is registered correctly.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tom_Befrugal Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tom_Befrugal Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:40 PM
    • Edited by Tom_Befrugal Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:40 PM
  • Hi Tom_Befrugal,

Sorry for this misunderstanding and thank you for your sharing.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:26 AM