none
How to disable Datasheet view, when editing a data, arrow down key cycle thru sort of history RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to disable the arrow down key work history cycle thru.  Sorry, not really sure what it is called.

Here are the steps:

- In Datasheet view

- Mouse click a column cell to edit an existing data

- Cursor was at the end of the data, then hit Backspace key

- After, hit arrow down key, multiple times

- Looks like hitting the arrow down key cycles thru like a words/clipboard history

See attached GIF file for behavior.

I just want it to behave normal like when I hit the arrow down key, it jumps to the next cell below.

Any advise/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R..

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:19 PM

Answers

• Thanks everyone.

I figured out what was causing the weird behavior when pressing the arrow down key on edit mode.

So happen that there was a new line/return in the value of the cell/column making it looked like it was cycling thru a sort of clipboard/work history list.

Sorry for the bother.

R..

• Marked as answer by Rick Shaw Wednesday, February 20, 2019 11:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 11:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Rick. I'm sorry. I tried to follow your instruction steps but don't get the same behavior as you. The cursor goes to the next records below when I hit the down arrow key several times.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:36 PM
  • If I understand you, I don't think this is normal behavior.  I don't recognize the description, and I can't reproduce it in a simple table datasheet or datasheet form.  Is it possible that you are working with a datasheet form on which this behavior has been programmed?  If the field is a Long Text field with its "Append Only" property set to Yes, the history of changes to the field is saved in its "column history", and can be retrieved with the application's ColumnHistory method.  An event procedure for the KeyDown event could possibly retrieve and cycle through the entries in the column history.

It's also possible that this is new built-in behavior added in the very latest version of Access.  I'm working with Access 2016, and might not have heard of it if it was added to a later version.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:53 PM
  • Hi Rick. I'm sorry. I tried to follow your instruction steps but don't get the same behavior as you. The cursor goes to the next records below when I hit the down arrow key several times.

Hi,

Yeah, this is kind of annoying that it does not happen all the time.  BTW, I am using MS SQL Server as the backend and did a "Link to the datasource by creating a linked table" when did the data source setup.  Not sure if that has anything to do with this but most likely not.

Also, if you look at the GIF I have attached.  The problem behavior shows at record "Mark asdfas".  Maybe having a the record above "Mark s" had something to do with the behavior.  I think what I did was, setup those 2 Marks records.  Then edited "Mark asdfas" a few times until the data cycle thru down arrow key started happening.

I really want this to behave normally as it should.

R..

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:55 PM
  • BTW, I am using MS SQL Server as the backend and did a "Link to the datasource by creating a linked table" when did the data source setup.  Not sure if that has anything to do with this but most likely not.

Hmm.  It could maybe be related to the SQL Server linkage.  Does this table have a primary key?  When you linked it, did Access prompt you for a field that would contain unique values?  If so, does it in fact contain unique values?

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 10:01 PM
  • BTW, I am using MS SQL Server as the backend and did a "Link to the datasource by creating a linked table" when did the data source setup.  Not sure if that has anything to do with this but most likely not.

Hmm.  It could maybe be related to the SQL Server linkage.  Does this table have a primary key?  When you linked it, did Access prompt you for a field that would contain unique values?  If so, does it in fact contain unique values?

Hi,

There is a primary in the table.  I tried linking (again to test) the MS SQL Server datasource in MS Access and it did not prompt for a unique field.

R..

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 10:10 PM
  • Thanks everyone.

I figured out what was causing the weird behavior when pressing the arrow down key on edit mode.

So happen that there was a new line/return in the value of the cell/column making it looked like it was cycling thru a sort of clipboard/work history list.

Sorry for the bother.

R..

• Marked as answer by Rick Shaw Wednesday, February 20, 2019 11:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 11:33 PM