none
Presentation text style hierarchy logic RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If a slide contains shapes with 

<p:ph sz="half" idx="1"/> and <p:ph sz="half" idx="2"/>

The slideLayout also contains shapes with <p:ph sz="half" idx="1"/> and <p:ph sz="half" idx="2"/>

Slidemaster contains shapes with <p:ph type="body" idx="1"/> and <p:ph type="dt" sz="half" idx="2"/>

How should the style inheritance for text go?

My current assumption was

(slide)<p:ph sz="half" idx="1"/> <- (slidelayout) <p:ph sz="half" idx="1"/> <- (slideMaster) <p:ph type="body" idx="1"/> <- bodyStyles <- defaultStyles

With the logic being that one should use 'idx' from slide to look if it's present in slidelayout and

use 'idx' from slideMaster to look if it's present, and in slideMaster since it has type "body" we should use bodyStyles

This logic seems to work very well for the first shape.

For shape 2 the same logic would create hierarchy:

(slide)<p:ph sz="half" idx="2"/> <- (slidelayout) <p:ph sz="half" idx="2"/> <- (slideMaster) <p:ph type="dt" sz="half" idx="2"/> <- defaultStyles

Experiments have shown that this creates wrong results in text styles of that shape.

So the question is what is the correct hierarchy and why?

Should (slideMaster) <p:ph type="dt" sz="half" idx="2"/> inherit styles from otherStyles or just from defaultStyles?

in second part  (slidelayout) <p:ph sz="half" idx="2"/> <- (slideMaster) <p:ph type="dt" sz="half" idx="2"/> seems to be part which creates wrong results

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Lassiko,

In the case of inheriting from the slide master, any placeholder on the slide layout that is not a title, date, footer, or slide number placeholder will inherit from the body placeholder on the slide master.  Specifically, in your scenario, both placeholders idx 1 and idx 2 on the slide layout are inheriting from the body placeholder in the slide master.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Lassikko:

I have informed protocol documentation team about your inquiry. A member of the will be in touch soon through this thread.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:05 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Lassiko,

I'll be working with you on this problem.  I'll get back to you shortly with more information.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hi Lassiko,

Thanks for your patience on this.  I'm currently looking into whether we will need some changes or additions to our implementer notes around this issue of the order of precendence in these values in slides, slide masters, slide layout etc..  In the meantime, I can tell you how we interpret this in PowerPoint.  Placeholder inheritance respects the type of placeholder as the primary linking mechanism, the index is just used to differentiate different placeholders that have the same type.  In the your scenario, the object placeholders on the slide and slidelayout will inherit from the body placeholder on the slidemaster. The only dateTime placeholders will inherit from the dateTime placeholder on the master.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the answer. I have a follow up question.

I have a presentation which looks like as follows

(slide) <p:ph type="dt" sz="quarter" idx="10"/> (no placement information)

(slideLayout) <p:ph type="ftr" sz="quarter" idx="10"/> (no placement information), layout does not contain any element with type="dt"

(master)<p:ph type="ftr" sz="quarter" idx="3"/> (contains placement information), master does not contain any element with type="dt"

Following the suggested logic, that we use the type as the linking mechanism, the shape in the slide with type="dt" cannot get its position from anywhere, as it is not defined in the slide, and the element cannot be found from the layout or the master. Yet when opened, it shows a position which is surprisingly close (if not the same) with the position of the shape with type="ftr" from master. If type is the linking mechanism, where can it get the position information?

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Hi Lassiko,

In the case of inheriting from the slide master, any placeholder on the slide layout that is not a title, date, footer, or slide number placeholder will inherit from the body placeholder on the slide master.  Specifically, in your scenario, both placeholders idx 1 and idx 2 on the slide layout are inheriting from the body placeholder in the slide master.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:52 PM