Installations Images and Dual-Booting with OSX 10

Question

• Recently I've begun working on a project involving the installation of Windows 8 onto six iMacs with almost identical hardware. The goal of my project is to eventually have Windows 8 Developer Preview dual booting with OS X v.10.6.8 through Bootcamp, and to develop a method of pushing out Windows 8 images so that they are still bootable through Bootcamp. The purpose of this being to have the ability to at any time restore the Windows partition to a predesignated state without effecting the OS X partition and to have an easier method of installing Windows across all six of the iMacs in case a new build or release of Windows 8 becomes available. 
    So far I have successfully installed Windows 8 onto one of the iMacs using the standard Bootcamp process and have installed all of Bootcamp’s drivers without issue by using Windows 7 compatibility mode. However, I have not been so successful with pushing out this setup to the other iMacs.

So far, I have tried to use Gparted for cloning the Windows partition on the iMac to a portable hard drive and then tried moving it onto a second iMac by using Bootcamp to partition the second iMac’s hard drive and then, again, using Gparted to clone the partition now on the portable hard drive to the second iMac in the place of the partition made by bootcamp. After this, bootcamp was unable to find the window partition so i returned the iMac to it’s original state, and tried the same process again but with Acronis Disk software instead, however, this attempt had the same results.
    iMac System Specs:
    Windoes 8 DP
    Intel Core i5 2500S @ 2.7GHz
    8.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 1333 MHz Ram (2 x 4GBs)
    Apple Inc. Mac-942B5BF58194151B (U2E1) Motherboard
    AMD Radeon HD 6770m
    WDC WD1001FALS-403AA0
    Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB 09) (Audio)
    If anyone has any ideas or opinions, input would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you would like more info on any of the processes a went through I would be happy to flesh out the intricacies.
    Thanks,
    Joseph.

• Edited by C4ptainCox Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:25 PM Formatting Error
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• C4ptainCox,

I am sorry to hear about your problems and am going to try and help.

Windows Developer Preview includes a feature to enable you to quickly and easily reset your PC\partition back to an earlier state, either to get it back to a working state or to get it back to the condition it was in when it was first installed. Push Button Reset is exposed as two different options.

·         Refresh your PC without affecting your files

·         Reset your PC and start over

With the Refresh your PC option, user accounts, user data, and a small set of settings are preserved without the need to first back them up externally.

• Local accounts, Connected Accounts, and cached domain accounts are preserved.
    • Data defined as everything outside of the following folders is preserved:
      • \Windows
      • \Program Files
      • \Program Files (x86)
      • \ProgramData
      • Per user app data for desktop apps.

·         Settings configured during Windows Welcome and Personalization settings defined in the Windows Metro style Control Panel are preserved.

·         Lock screen background and the User tile are preserved

·         Windows Metro style apps are reinstalled automatically

o   App settings are reset to their defaults

·         Legacy apps are removed unless they are preloaded by the manufacturer.

o   At the end of the refresh process, an HTML file called “Removed Apps.html” is placed on the desktop with a list of all of the desktop apps that will need to be reinstalled.

·         If Bitlocker is enabled, it will be suspended automatically as part of this process.

You can also check out the following link for more information about the Push Button Reset: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/HW-882P

As far as the cloning on the iMac goes, that is not something that I can really help you with.  You should probably post the question in the Apple support forums, you might also check out the following link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1553 .

I hope that helps, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:48 PM