none
TC 2.1.3 Support command-line installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

My ASP.Net application is using a .MSI installer where it needs user to input parameters i.e. ServerIP, SQL Database logon credentials during installation, but then, will this fail TC 2.1.3 where it's needed to install my application without UI?

Please advise

Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:06 AM

Answers

• You can set/modify any Public Properties from command line. You can also define a custom public property by entering the property's name and an initial value into the Property table.

A sample command line with public properties may look like the following.

msiexec /i "C:\<WindowsFolder>\Profiles\<UserName>\Personal\MySetups\Your Project Name\Trial Version\My Release-1\ProductName.msi" COMPANYNAME="MyCompany" USERNAME="Scott"

The other option can be using bootstrapper and ini file. You can see the MSDN article on Bootstrapping for the same.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I believe there can be two options here:

• Using command-line paramaters to provide these values (recommended)
    • Using a configuration file to get the data

However, you need to provide proper detailed documentation in either case.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Is there any guide on how to add in these parameters when I'm using command-line to install my .MSI?

Thanks!
    Friday, November 23, 2007 7:10 AM
  • You can set/modify any Public Properties from command line. You can also define a custom public property by entering the property's name and an initial value into the Property table.

A sample command line with public properties may look like the following.

msiexec /i "C:\<WindowsFolder>\Profiles\<UserName>\Personal\MySetups\Your Project Name\Trial Version\My Release-1\ProductName.msi" COMPANYNAME="MyCompany" USERNAME="Scott"

The other option can be using bootstrapper and ini file. You can see the MSDN article on Bootstrapping for the same.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:20 PM