Windows 8 metro interface problems: menu, animations and edges

General discussion

• Is it only me or developers and designers see the same problems with metro interface:

Accessing the buttom of the tablet while its in your hands is not easy and practical. When you are holding a touchscreen device you grab on the midle of the edges and your thumb can reach to the top without droping it, but to reach the bottom is not that easy as you have to move your hand quite down till you cant hold it properly. So The navigation buttons and menu bar should be at the top, this is the area where you can reach with your fingers easily while holding a "tablet" properly.

And the design wise, desktop and metro style should be more similar, consistent and integrated. The "desktop" style of the windows 8. on the desktop the address bar at the top. but you swich to the metro and moves to the bottom.

Ribbon is a good approach to desktop application design but needs some touches to make it more user friendly and less confusing. the quick access icons and the top of the menu, and helping shodow tabs over the tabs looks like solving some problems which are not well considered at the design stage of the ribbon menu concept.

On metro, to close a window, the gesture is not practical. You have to move your finger all the way from top the bottom. gestures should be "finger movements" not "hand movements". Instead of moving the thumbnail of the app when you grab it from the top edge to the bottom; May be a quick gesture of moving slighlty down from the top edge and then back to top edge again to minimise/close the app. (well. actually better to move this one to the bottom and the menu bar to the top, for the reason i explained before.) 

The feedback animations of the tiles are not real-life like concepts so they don't give the visual-expression of "opening", closing", "moving".. Maybe the designers trying not to copy the ideas of the other tablets OS animation style but "simple" and "basic" approach always better than trying to be "different" and making things confusing and unfriendly.

I have some alternative designs and concepts but probably developers and designers at microsoft can come much better if they work on it.

I hope so :)

Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:11 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the comments.

If you are interested in some of the design decisions see that section in the Learing area: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh779072

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Thanks for the the link.

Its quite helpful. I like the clear and simple design of Metro but just few concerns about it as I mentioned before. They might be just a matter of choice or decisions by different priority.

There would be always some compromises or "not so ideal" when unifying a UX like Metro with different needs and expectations of the users and the platforms and the dilemma of being "flexible" enough to adapt for everyone's need and preferences and "standardizing". i

for example to place forward and back navigation buttons of metro ie on the right and left side of screen might be more logical for touch screens but for mouse users and quick link checkers its better to put next to each other for quick navigation.

But I believe the "metro"  is the right step on the right direction and have enough rooms to improve and evolve :)

Thanks

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:55 PM