Silverlight or ASP.NET MVC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a WPF applications and want to build a web based application of same WPF app. I would like to know what is right technology choice for building web app? Is ASP.NET MVC best almost to rewrite wpf forms using Razor views or Silverlight APP with most XAML re-use?

Appreciate your response.

Regards

Hanumantha.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:00 PM

Answers

• Hi hanumantha the future,

Silverlight app can re-use most XAML, which can save a lot of time when you build this web based application. But Silverlight will be supported to 10/12/2021, which you can read from Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?c2=12905&wa=wsignin1.0

If the web based application is just used for several years before 2021, please use Silverlight app. If you want to keep it  using, I suggest you use ASP.NET MVC. It will help you save time in future, which need not change it from Silverlight app to ASP.NET website.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:01 AM
  • I do both Silverlight and WPF.

You might think they're both xaml so wpf > Silverlight is going to be easy.

Not always the case though.

The xaml for the two can end up quite different. EG I'd use VSM in Silverlight but triggers in WPF.

If you use a database then your whole data layer is going to be changed out for a Silverlight app into async wcf ria calls or some such. That might be easy if you have your app nicely layered. It might be a nightmare.

Your validation might well need a different approach.

The list of changes can be quite long.

Because you're using technology rather looks the same it's also more confusing than something which is totally different.

Also.

You can start off thinking something is only going to be used a year or two. Then find yourself 5 years down the line and explaining to management that you need to re-write.

Personally.

I would be inclined to re-write as asp.net webforms or asp.net mvc.

The new version of regular asp.net is re-vamped and I wouldn't dismiss it.

Asp.net mvc tends to be a more saleable skill though ;^)

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: MVVM Step 1; All my Technet Articles

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi hanumantha the future,

Silverlight app can re-use most XAML, which can save a lot of time when you build this web based application. But Silverlight will be supported to 10/12/2021, which you can read from Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?c2=12905&wa=wsignin1.0

If the web based application is just used for several years before 2021, please use Silverlight app. If you want to keep it  using, I suggest you use ASP.NET MVC. It will help you save time in future, which need not change it from Silverlight app to ASP.NET website.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:01 AM
  • I do both Silverlight and WPF.

You might think they're both xaml so wpf > Silverlight is going to be easy.

Not always the case though.

The xaml for the two can end up quite different. EG I'd use VSM in Silverlight but triggers in WPF.

If you use a database then your whole data layer is going to be changed out for a Silverlight app into async wcf ria calls or some such. That might be easy if you have your app nicely layered. It might be a nightmare.

Your validation might well need a different approach.

The list of changes can be quite long.

Because you're using technology rather looks the same it's also more confusing than something which is totally different.

Also.

You can start off thinking something is only going to be used a year or two. Then find yourself 5 years down the line and explaining to management that you need to re-write.

Personally.

I would be inclined to re-write as asp.net webforms or asp.net mvc.

The new version of regular asp.net is re-vamped and I wouldn't dismiss it.

Asp.net mvc tends to be a more saleable skill though ;^)

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 9:18 AM
  • I feel like someone needs to point out to you that browsers are dropping support for silverlight, so I wouldn't waste my time with that.  Chrome has already killed it off, Firefox plans to drop it by end of next year, and Microsoft didn't add it in Edge.  Go with MVC or you will end up writing it a third time.
    Friday, October 16, 2015 2:20 PM
  • I was assuming this is a business app of some sort.

A lot of businesses use all Windows devices and IE11 might not be a problem.

( But I'd still probably go with asp.net rather than Silverlight.)

Hope that helps.

Friday, October 16, 2015 2:38 PM