Metro interface disappears after installing latest updates

Question

• Hi,

I booted up my Windows 8 DP machine this morning, and to my surprise, there was absolutely no Metro to be seen. It was like using a rebranded version of Windows 7. In addition, there is now an addendum to the build watermark which reads:

Microsoft Confidential

Unauthorized use or disclosure in any manner may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment (in the case of employees), termination of an assignment or contract (in the case of contingent staff), and potential civil and criminal liability.

I'm assuming that this is a leftover from previous builds, but I'm still stuck with what looks like Windows 7. In fact, the old 7 start menu and aero theme are now back (as in everything's a bit less rectangular). Any ideas as to what could be the problem here?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:33 PM

Answers

• Joel, I have not seen this message before in Windows Developer Preview.  I would recommend:

1. Go into Control Panel

2. Click on Recovery

3. Click on Refresh. 

Follow the steps to try and refresh the OS.

If that does not work, I suggest trying the reset feature in the same location to restore your system to factory condition.

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:39 PM

All replies

• Joel, I have not seen this message before in Windows Developer Preview.  I would recommend:

1. Go into Control Panel

2. Click on Recovery

3. Click on Refresh. 

Follow the steps to try and refresh the OS.

If that does not work, I suggest trying the reset feature in the same location to restore your system to factory condition.

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:39 PM
  • I got this after disabling the Metro UI.  There's a registry entry for doing that: HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RPEnabled

Set it back to 1, restart explorer.exe and you're good to go.  It may be just what you said, left over from an earlier build.  Unauthorized disclosure is kind of out the window given the Win8 DP is available to the public at large.  But it may fall under unauthorized use?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:17 PM