none
How do I upload my app to the Windows store.

Question

• Hi Folks,

I am going through the process of moving an app to the Windows store.

The app is an Excel addin created in vb.net using VS2013. I currently sell this addin through my website (statisticianaddin.com). I have recently created a WIX installer for the addin.

I am a tad overwhelmed by the requirements to add an addin to the Windows store. So I will do this step by step.

I have an account with the Windows Dev centre (Windows store apps) and am trying to submit an app through the dashboard. There are a number of steps in submitting an app (App name, selling details etc) but I am stuck at the 'Packages' stage where I need to upload the app. It is unclear to me exactly what files I need to upload!! Can anyone assist?

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Sunday, March 16, 2014 12:43 AM

Answers

• No, your addin is not a Windows Store app and cannot be uploaded to the store. As Michael says you can list desktop apps in the store, not upload them. Users will be redirected to your site as described in the article I linked previously.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Bernie Ok Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:51 AM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Bernie,

You cannot upload plugins or other desktop apps to the store. You can upload only Windows Store apps.

You can link to your own sales site to sell your desktop applications.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:29 AM
  • Thanks Rob,

what do I need to do then to link my website to the Windows store?

Bernie

Bernie

Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:42 AM
  • A quick search found http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstore/archive/2012/06/08/listing-your-desktop-app-in-the-store.aspx

The folks in the publishing forum may have better links than I can find from my phone

Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:47 AM
  • Thanks Rob,

OK, I am still confused. There are a number of steps in submitting an app (App name, selling details etc) but I am stuck at the 'Packages' stage where I need to upload the app. It is unclear to me exactly what files I need to upload!! Can anyone assist?

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:18 AM
  • The Package is your Windows Store app's app package. If you don't have a Windows Store app then you won't have a package to upload.

See App packages and deployment

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:34 AM
  • Thanks Rob,

what I have is an Excel addin created in VS2013. I don't know if this is a 'Windows Store app package'. But an Excel addin created in VS2013 can be marketed through the Windows store (see the 'xltools' app currently marketed in the Windows store as an example). Also see Michael Zlatkovsky's comments .

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:17 AM
  • No, your addin is not a Windows Store app and cannot be uploaded to the store. As Michael says you can list desktop apps in the store, not upload them. Users will be redirected to your site as described in the article I linked previously.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Bernie Ok Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:51 AM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:51 AM
  • OK Rob,

I have finally got the idea and now understand the contents of the page that you previously linked.

Thanls and best,

Bernie

Bernie

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:50 AM