Certification Failure: Application Suspend was not detected for application App

Question

• I have a lot of problems with Application Suspend test on my computer which simply behaves  in a non-deterministic way.

Is it possible for the metro app to fail this test even if it does nothing in "Suspending" handler and it has no background workers?

I have noticed that this test fails specially for the metro app with large data copied to output directory.

Any help would be appriciated
    _mc2

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hello,

so is the app doing any background tasks?  Could you email me (mikewong at microsoft.com) with your contact info so we can get some more ETW logs to get the time spent going from active to quiescing (suspend event handlers called) to suspend/halted state. 

As a side question, could we try the following: Go to Task manager -> View -> Status values -> Show suspended status. Launch your app and then switch to desktop. If the app status changes to Suspended in Task Manger then the app suspended.  Does the app ever go into suspend status after switching to desktop?  If so, how long does it take (rough estimate)?

thanks!

mike

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:45 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  WACK was reporting success about a month ago (when I last ran it), but when I try to do it again it keeps saying that "Application Suspend was not detected for application App."

Mike asked whether I see my app suspend if I switch to the desktop.  I don't.  It stays active, no matter how long I spend on the start screen or in another app.  What might be preventing the app from being suspended?

Friday, December 7, 2012 8:28 PM
  • OK - I spoke too soon.  I think I was expecting it to do so in debug mode (when running with VS), but I forgot I had to use the Suspend/Resume actions for that.  I just ran a Release version of the app, switched to desktop and after 30 seconds or so saw it suspend.  I switched back to the app, and it opened fine in the same state it had been.  So it works.  What can I look for to determine why the WACK says it can't suspend?  Thanks.
    Friday, December 7, 2012 8:34 PM
  • I read a good bit of forum posts and blogs and came across the idea of looking in the Windows event viewer.  Found something related to an error occurring in the SuspensionManager.RestoreAsync method.  I put a simple try/catch block around that and passed the test.  Now I just have to figure out what actually caused the exception in that method.

Saturday, December 8, 2012 2:22 AM