none
.Net FW 4.6 has 3098779 and 3097997 Installed RRS feed

• Question

• We have over 60 Windows 2012 R2 servers running .Net FW 4.6 that have 3098779 and 3097997 installed. The problem is illustrated in this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3118750

According to the article, the fix for the issue is to either uninstall the two patches or upgrade to .Net 4.6.1. On one of the servers which has an application that was affected by the problem, we upgraded to 4.6.1 but that did not resolve it. Instead we had to uninstall the two "bad" patches.

Recently, 3098785 was rereleased:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms15-118

At the very bottom of that page it seems to suggest that the incorrect files will be overwritten by running this update, which should solve the problem. Am I understanding this correctly? Also, how can I confirm that the issue has been resolved, other than by a broken application working again?

Sunday, February 14, 2016 5:24 AM

Answers

• Hello CFS-BC,

The KB number may do not have a forum, you can search for some updates forum instead.

And for "Contact Answer Desk", I'm thinking that you may need to search for another online support channel, not on this forum. But I just checked there again and it seems they are just for the system itself. I can only find this place:

And I also has one question, have you ever asked your app's provider to check for a solution? It is also possible that they can change something in their code to fix this problem. They can easily find the problem by debug the app.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by CFS-BC Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hello CFS-BC,

If a new update is released I think you need to update it. When I check that article https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms15-118 it seems it does not give us any info about whether it will fix the previous issue.

The forum is about install/uninstall .NET Framework, we do not have any info about those updates. I think a better place to report this issue is to try the following two channels:

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:20 AM
  • I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but when you click on "Ask the Community", all it does is bring you to a general search page for all Forums. When I search the KB numbers, it doesn't find anything that I haven't already seen. "Contact Answer Desk" basically just shows the usual support options.

Monday, February 22, 2016 4:16 PM
  • Hello CFS-BC,

The KB number may do not have a forum, you can search for some updates forum instead.

And for "Contact Answer Desk", I'm thinking that you may need to search for another online support channel, not on this forum. But I just checked there again and it seems they are just for the system itself. I can only find this place:

And I also has one question, have you ever asked your app's provider to check for a solution? It is also possible that they can change something in their code to fix this problem. They can easily find the problem by debug the app.

Best regards,

Barry

• Marked as answer by CFS-BC Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Thanks, the "Create an Incident" option may help. Anything that keeps me from having to make a phone call is good.

There is no "app provider" to contact. This problem is with the Windows OS having patches that are not appropriate for one of its components. This is a potential problem for a multitude of applications.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:18 PM