none
The following error has occurred: Upgrade Failed due to the following Error.The error code is :-2147467259.Message:Unspecified error

Question

• I mention my problem above, After show the error Shows another message box with try again and Cancel options. I have no choice finally i click cancel. Then setup shows several message boxes. Finally setup was failed. I referred several web sources but i can't solve this issue.

I have Windows 7 32-bit machine, Intel Core i3 processor,4 GB RAM, Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

• Moved by Olaf HelperMVP Thursday, January 09, 2014 7:21 PM Moved from "SQL Database Engine" to a more related forum
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 5:39 PM

All replies

• And what did you actually attempt to do? It appears that you left out that.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:05 PM
  • I searched my issue on the internet found issues on the forums. Someone told this error becoz of visual studio and aslo instruct to verify the Devenv.exe Config is in the correct folder. But it shows the error again. "Cannot find the the specified file".

I Restart my computer and again install only the database engine it also show some error.

The following error has occurred:

Failed to open the registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER1\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib or set its security descriptor: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation..

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0&EvtType=OpenKeyOrSetDescFailed
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 3:55 AM
  • I searched my issue on the internet found issues on the forums. Someone told this error becoz of visual studio and aslo instruct to verify the Devenv.exe Config is in the correct folder. But it shows the error again. "Cannot find the the specified file".

I Restart my computer and again install only the database engine it also show some error.

The following error has occurred:

Failed to open the registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER1\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib or set its security descriptor: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation..

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0&EvtType=OpenKeyOrSetDescFailed

Hi Sarath Jasrin,

According to your description, this error happens since some registry keys that need to be fixed do not have administrator access.We need to verify if you run setup.exe as administrator, and the account have permission to access the installation folder. I recommend you open up the registry and navigate to the registry key with the issue can give the administrator access to the registry key, and then try to updata again.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 09, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Hello,

Please read the following post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/petersad/archive/2009/08/08/sql-server-2008-could-not-fix-registry-key-issue-and-how-to-resolve.aspx

In short, the post states that the solution is providing access to the registry key.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, January 09, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Thank you Li. But my computer doesn't contain such a registry directory. What can i do for now. And also explain me how to provide admin access.My registry.

Please. Thank you. 

Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:07 PM
  • Thank you Li. But my computer doesn't contain such a registry directory. What can i do for now. And also explain me how to provide admin access.My registry.

Hi Sarath Jasrin,

According to your description, we need to verify if the error occurs when you installing SQL Server. If it occurs when you installing visual studio, I recommend you post this issue on the visual studio forums, It is appropriate and more experts will assist you. However, if you installed SQL Server, usually the registry key was located in HKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\<yournameinstancename>\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib. We need to verify if the path is right when checking. About assigning permissions to a registry key , you can right click the options of “Permissions” on the edit menu, then, assign an related access level to the selected key.

For more information about assigning permissions to a registry key, you can review the following article.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728310(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 13, 2014 2:08 AM
  • But why i doesn't have that registry directory sir.?
    Monday, January 13, 2014 1:21 PM