Is Identity Framework 2.0 compatible with the identity framework from ASP.net Core 2.x or 3.x? RRS feed

• Question

• User-374939276 posted

Right now I am using Identity framework 2.0 with ASP.net WebForms.

If I create a new ASP.net core project will it work with the same database or has it changed?

I want to run a ASP.net WebForms app and a ASP.net Core app using the same database.

Saturday, August 8, 2020 1:49 PM

Answers

• User-1330468790 posted

Hi warrenkc2,

I am afraid you cannot directly use ASP.NET Identity in ASP.NET Core 2.x or 3.x.

However, you have an alternative - ASP.NET Core Identity.

By contrast, ASP.NET Core Identity is different from that of ASP.NET which works with EF and other dependencies from ASP.NET framework as below shows. ( The packages in green make up the ASP.NET Identity system)

Regarding ASP.NET Core Identity, it is enabled by calling UseAuthenticationUseAuthentication adds authentication middleware to the request pipeline.

You could also refer to this to see how to migrate from ASP.NET. Unfortunately, they don't provide the example for WebForms but you could also get some useful information.

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Sean

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2020 9:38 AM

All replies

• User-1330468790 posted

Hi warrenkc2,

I am afraid you cannot directly use ASP.NET Identity in ASP.NET Core 2.x or 3.x.

However, you have an alternative - ASP.NET Core Identity.

By contrast, ASP.NET Core Identity is different from that of ASP.NET which works with EF and other dependencies from ASP.NET framework as below shows. ( The packages in green make up the ASP.NET Identity system)

Regarding ASP.NET Core Identity, it is enabled by calling UseAuthenticationUseAuthentication adds authentication middleware to the request pipeline.

You could also refer to this to see how to migrate from ASP.NET. Unfortunately, they don't provide the example for WebForms but you could also get some useful information.

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Sean

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2020 9:38 AM
  • User-374939276 posted

Thank you very much for this clarification. 

Monday, August 10, 2020 2:43 PM