Application compilation is starting RRS feed

• Question

• User1791247471 posted

Recently i have discovered that opening Visual Web Developer 2008 Express and opening a remote website under IIS 7, intermittently causes the application to re-start causing users to lose their sessions (we are using in-proc sessions). No code has been altered, the trigger is just opening the website in Web Developer.

This has definitely only recently started happening. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:09 AM

Answers

• User-1454326058 posted

Hi Aan,

Thanks for your post!

According to your description, I tried it using Visual Studio and it works fine. (Session data haven’t loss)

I suggest that you can create a new project, then try it and check the result.

On the other hand, I suggest that you can use the StateServer or SQLServer mode instead of the InProc mode. For more information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178586.aspx

Thanks

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 5:22 AM

All replies

• User-1360095595 posted

If you touch the web.config file it'll restart the app.

In visual studio you should be opening your local copy of the project/website. You shouldn't be opening a hosted/production level website directly in visual studio. At least I wouldn't.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:14 AM
  • User1791247471 posted

Thanks for the response. I understand about web.config, app_code changes etc but these files are not being touched. I also accept that it's not best practice to operate against a live deployment but with care this has not caused issue in the past.

If web.config is changed then this generates the 'Configuration changed' message. I am not seeing this.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:24 AM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi Aan,

Thanks for your post!

According to your description, I tried it using Visual Studio and it works fine. (Session data haven’t loss)

I suggest that you can create a new project, then try it and check the result.

On the other hand, I suggest that you can use the StateServer or SQLServer mode instead of the InProc mode. For more information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178586.aspx

Thanks

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 5:22 AM
  • User1791247471 posted

Hi Starain

Thanks for the response. I will try with a new project and see what happens.

It is really strange as it doesn't happen everytime i start Visual Studio. If i open VS several times in succession a rebuild will occur the first time but not the others. If i then leave it for an hour or two before trying again it will cause a rebuild.

I have started moving websites to SQLServer mode which i agree is far more resilient. Most transfer without issue but our main eCommerce site needs changing as classes aren't marked as serializable.

Best Regards

Alan

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:38 AM
  • User-1426144113 posted

Hi,

Most transfer without issue but our main eCommerce site needs changing as classes aren't marked as serializable.

I don't farmilar with SQL Server mode. Do you mean, the data stored in the session will be serializable if using the SQLServer mode?

On the other hand, maybe the log will be recorded in the Event Viewer. You can check the Event Viewer's log.

Thanks

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:14 PM
  • User-1426144113 posted

Hi,

I tried it, the data will be serialized if using the SQKServer mode. So I suggest that you should mark your class as serializable.

By the way, I suggest that you can use the version control tool to manager your code instead of modify the project that has been deployed in the iis. (SVN is the good tool)

Thanks

Sunday, September 15, 2013 10:08 PM