Cannot register XBox One Developer mode RRS feed

• Question

• I believe I have set up all of the prerequisites and have installed the XBox One Developer mode app, but when I go to the Activation web page, enter the activation code displayed on the XBox and click "Agree and Activate", nothing happens.

By nothing happens, I mean absolutely nothing happens. The "Enter Activation Code" dialogue box stays on the screen and doesn't change. There is no confirmation, no error message, no indication at all apart from the button changing colour when I click it.

Eventually the code on the XBox expires, so it appears that either the registration process is broken, or I have got something wrong. If I have got something wrong there should be some feedback, however.

I have tried registering using Internet Explorer and Chrome on Windows 10, and Chrome on my Android tablet. The result is the same each time. Nothing happens when I click the "Agree and Activate" button.

Friday, June 10, 2016 12:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks everyone for your patience. I can confirm that we have fixed issue and that the service is now back up. Credit goes to the Xbox Live team for working hard to fix the issue once I reported it to them. My apologies that we didn't identify and address the issue on Friday.

thanks again

mark

• Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Friday, June 24, 2016 1:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, July 1, 2016 5:27 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 4:41 AM

All replies

• I too am having the same exact problem. I really hope we can reach a resolution on this issue soon.
    Friday, June 10, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Same here, I enter the code and nothing happens. 

Joined the program paid it

I'm running Windows 10

I installed Visual Studio 2015 update 2

installed Windows 10 SDK preview build

Wired connected the Xbox

and I have more than GB of mem

I chatting with a microshaft rep and she said they're are experiencing an outage 
    that could be bullcrp to get rid of me. She said they would contact me by email
    when the service is restored.

Friday, June 10, 2016 10:22 PM
  • I to have the same problem
    Saturday, June 11, 2016 8:20 AM
  • I got this email from microsoft

Thank you for contacting Windows Developer Center Support regarding your issues with activating your Xbox console for development.  We apologize for the inconvenience you are facing. 

There is currently an outage affecting the activation site: https://developer.microsoft.com/xboxdevices our Engineering department has been involved and they are working to resolve this matter as quickly as possible.

so i guess the page isn't working. It must to have been working at one point because I've seen people posting
    pics on tweeter showing off their games in xbox one

Saturday, June 11, 2016 1:05 PM
  • That is some news, at least.

It is rather poor, however, that there appears to be no official help/support link.

Also, the fact that this page provides no positive feedback when there is a problem with the back end is lamentable on a developer site. 

Saturday, June 11, 2016 1:37 PM
  • no offense to microsoft but they are so big now they don't care, it's the reason why windows phones hardly have any apps while Android and iOS are sucking all the developers.

Apple is every quick to response to the developers who are experiencing difficulties.
    the android forums are packed with other developers who will help you quickly.

at microsoft lol...

and they wonder why they don't have many people making apps for their phones and tablets.

Saturday, June 11, 2016 5:27 PM
  • It is disappointing that it's down. I've been thinking about trying this since they announced it and tried for the first time yesterday morning and again this morning with no luck, but... it's not so important to me that someone works their weekend to get it working...plus, I think your view of Microsoft is kind of skewed.  They aren't the big giant they used to be and they are WAY more responsive than most companies...including Apple. I imagine it'll be back up soon.

Sunday, June 12, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Folks, I'm really sorry that you are hitting this issue. I will follow up and let you know what is going on. This is absolutely supposed to work, and we (MSFT) are committed to Dev Mode on Xbox One. As soon as I have some news I'll come back to this thread with an update,

thanks

mark

(Mark Boulter, Xbox team)

Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:56 PM
  • I'm really sorry you are hitting this issue. I'm following up to see what is causing this. I'll post at the bottom of this thread as soon as I have an update

thanks

mark

Sunday, June 12, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Update: We have reproduced the issue and we are investigating. I'll post another update when I have more information,

thanks

mark

Sunday, June 12, 2016 8:47 PM
  • @mark I don't know if this helps you but this is the API call that's failing:  https://developer.microsoft.com/xdts/authorize

It's responding with a 401 unauthorized and it's causing the form submission to silently fail. You might suggest to the team to put in an error handler for when that call doesn't respond as expected.

Sunday, June 12, 2016 9:18 PM
  • It's working now to anyone else who ran into this issue today.
    Sunday, June 12, 2016 11:50 PM
  • Thank you to whoever worked this weekend to fix this.
    Monday, June 13, 2016 12:07 AM
  • Thank You Team Xbox and to whoever worked hard to resolve this issue. Its now working
    Monday, June 13, 2016 1:47 AM
  • Thanks everyone for your patience. I can confirm that we have fixed issue and that the service is now back up. Credit goes to the Xbox Live team for working hard to fix the issue once I reported it to them. My apologies that we didn't identify and address the issue on Friday.

thanks again

mark

• Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Friday, June 24, 2016 1:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, July 1, 2016 5:27 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 4:41 AM
  • Broken again ...

Far more important is why this can break in a way that requires human intervention. The feature is commodity 2-factor auth. See a code, enter it, confirm it. That's how almost all forum registration works but MSFT can't manage to do it.

And I suspect, since I worked at MSFT in xbox, I know why.

TedHoward

Friday, January 6, 2017 8:49 AM
  • ps
    I was looking at bringing the #1/2 rated Windows Store game to XboxOne. We perform well on Kindle Fire TV/Stick versus Kindle Fire tablet. We perform well on Windows 8.1/10, so maybe we'd do well on Xbox One ... if Xbox LIVE would work.

TedHoward

Friday, January 6, 2017 8:53 AM