none
Unable to Renew License (VS 2015 Community/Windows 8.1)

Question

• Hi, slightly over a month ago I downloaded and installed VS Community, and then the license expired after 30 days. I created a new account with an outlook email address, and signed in - license didn't renew. I did "Repair", still didn't work. I uninstalled it completely and then installed from the .iso and installed, and it still has not let me renew the license. I did this on my other two machines - a Surface Pro 4 (Windows 10), and my home tower (8.1), with no issues. I could log into my Microsoft account with no issues.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Alec R,

Please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. Whether there has any error message about update license?

In addition, please check whether your Visual Studio Community 2015 has installed Update 1. If not, please download and install from below link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=49989

Then please try sign in your Visual Studio with below steps and then re-sign in again.

1. Sign in Visual Studio Team Service with your outlook account.
    2. Click the "Open in Visual Studio" hyper link in right-side of the Overview site. Then it will open your Visual Studio Community 2015 and login with your outlook account automatically.
    3. Renew your license again.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Alec R,

Do you get any error message when renew the license failed?

Please make sure your IE on your Windows 8.1 is IE 11 first. And then please run your Visual Studio as administrator to make sure it has enough permission to perform all operation.

In addition, please check whether you have set the Window Update Action Center as 'Never check for update'. If yes, please change it to let your Windows to Update the new license.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, February 18, 2016 9:29 AM
  • I just get "failed to download new license" under the link that says "check for an updated license".

I also checked, and updates are on, and I turned notifications on as well. I still have not been able to update the license.

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:21 PM
  • Hi Alec R,

Please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. Whether there has any error message about update license?

In addition, please check whether your Visual Studio Community 2015 has installed Update 1. If not, please download and install from below link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=49989

Then please try sign in your Visual Studio with below steps and then re-sign in again.

1. Sign in Visual Studio Team Service with your outlook account.
    2. Click the "Open in Visual Studio" hyper link in right-side of the Overview site. Then it will open your Visual Studio Community 2015 and login with your outlook account automatically.
    3. Renew your license again.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:36 AM