Logic App Connector for LDAP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have the On premis AD server . I like to get the user information from AD server which we previously use LDAP to retrieve the information.

Some one please guide me to retrieve  AD user information using the logic App. We have several servers and users have permissions to all servers.

Thanks,

Joe

Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:03 PM

Answers

• Logic App Connectors are basically wrappers around existing REST APIs and since On-Premise AD has no REST API out of the box, there is no connector available.

Azure AD on the other hand has a REST API and hence a connector present in Logic Apps

Friday, October 26, 2018 12:44 PM
  • Hi there,

From what you have mentioned in the last reply, I understand that existing application has a connector or API already to interact with the Active directory via LDAP. 

Yes, you need to expose the above functionality as either a REST or SOAP API via HTTP(s) endpoint in the on premise network and invoke it from Logic App using the Logic App custom connector and On premise gateway.

Firstly, refer to the Azure documentation to install the latest version of On premise gateway.  

Secondly, refer to the Azure documentation to crate the Logic App custom connector. There is an option to "Connect via on-premises data gateway" in that wizard to let you connect the above exposed service. 

After finishing the above two steps, you need to add an action to call the API exposed via custom connector. While adding an action in the logic app, select the tab "custom" where you can see the custom connector listed there. Select the recently created custom connector and then select the appropriate action. 

Thanking you,

Mohamed Ibrahim

• Marked as answer by JustDoAzure Friday, November 9, 2018 4:22 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 1:55 AM

All replies

• Logic App Connectors are basically wrappers around existing REST APIs and since On-Premise AD has no REST API out of the box, there is no connector available.

Azure AD on the other hand has a REST API and hence a connector present in Logic Apps

Friday, October 26, 2018 12:44 PM
  • Hey JustDoAzure - Any updates on this?
    Monday, October 29, 2018 6:37 PM
  • Thanks PramodValavala,

Hi Mike,

The existing application is having the LDAP adapter to make communication to connect the AD in every server to access the User groups.

So How can I connect  servers and read the AD while creating the Logic app workflow.

So Do I need to create APi to retrive the AD from each server to pull the AD use group to connect LOgic App workflow to connect.

Regards,

Joe

Joe

• Edited by JustDoAzure Thursday, November 1, 2018 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:41 PM
  • Hi there,

From what you have mentioned in the last reply, I understand that existing application has a connector or API already to interact with the Active directory via LDAP. 

Yes, you need to expose the above functionality as either a REST or SOAP API via HTTP(s) endpoint in the on premise network and invoke it from Logic App using the Logic App custom connector and On premise gateway.

Firstly, refer to the Azure documentation to install the latest version of On premise gateway.  

Secondly, refer to the Azure documentation to crate the Logic App custom connector. There is an option to "Connect via on-premises data gateway" in that wizard to let you connect the above exposed service. 

After finishing the above two steps, you need to add an action to call the API exposed via custom connector. While adding an action in the logic app, select the tab "custom" where you can see the custom connector listed there. Select the recently created custom connector and then select the appropriate action. 

Thanking you,

Mohamed Ibrahim

• Marked as answer by JustDoAzure Friday, November 9, 2018 4:22 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 1:55 AM
  • Thanks Ibrahim for your elaborated answer. 

First case I don't have any existing rest api exposed to connect the On premis sever AD.  So I need to create Api to retrieve the user list from every active servers.

Do I need to have On premise gateway  to be installed on my premis server to connect? [ having some linux servers too]

Since the rest api itself connects the server with existing WINNT adapter and LDAP adapters to query AD.

Sure I can use the custom connectors  to call the api from  the LogicApp or "HTTP with Azure AD" will call the rest API exposed from logic app.

Can any of this flow will be simplified using Azure webJobs since email triggers need to be sent on every quarter to  server owners to revoke permission for certain users.

If I  create Rest Api and exposed to be used by Logic app, It takes too long to run from the logic app since we have big number of servers actively running. 

Regards,

Joe

Joe

• Edited by JustDoAzure Friday, November 2, 2018 9:54 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 9:50 PM