.NET Framework 4 setup failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

After buying a new laptop and trying to install terraria, I found that the .NET framework does not want to install. It just gets stuck here:

It says that it is downloading this one part but I checked my rainmeter download widget and download is at 0%. I waited for 10 minutes, which is how long the installer said it would take, but nothing changed.

I have tried several things posted on other discussions, such as using a standalone installer, running SFC /SCANNOW, checking that there aren't any other drives connected, running a .net framework cleanup. I have checked my updates because I hear thats important but the update installations keep failing as well.

I know a bit about windows, but I'm completely stuck. I'm running Windows 7 Home edition 64bit service pack 1.

Monday, December 5, 2011 12:00 PM

Answers

• I recommend that you use the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0.

This will separate the download process from the installation process.

Before you run the standalone installer, please complete the following:

1. Prepare for an install attempt by clearing out your %temp% directory (this is the Temp folder associated with the logged on Administrator user who will run the installer. Access %temp% by clicking on your Win 7 Start Orb, then typing %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.) Also disable your AV software.

Note: Step 1 above should be completed before EVERY install attempt.

2. Download a fresh copy of the .NET Framework 4.0 standalone installer:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

3. Run the standalone installer you downloaded As Administrator.

If the install fails, please collect fresh logs and post as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

• Edited by pvdg42 Monday, December 5, 2011 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Upah Monday, December 5, 2011 9:51 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:22 PM

All replies

• I recommend that you use the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0.

This will separate the download process from the installation process.

Before you run the standalone installer, please complete the following:

1. Prepare for an install attempt by clearing out your %temp% directory (this is the Temp folder associated with the logged on Administrator user who will run the installer. Access %temp% by clicking on your Win 7 Start Orb, then typing %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.) Also disable your AV software.

Note: Step 1 above should be completed before EVERY install attempt.

2. Download a fresh copy of the .NET Framework 4.0 standalone installer:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

3. Run the standalone installer you downloaded As Administrator.

If the install fails, please collect fresh logs and post as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

• Edited by pvdg42 Monday, December 5, 2011 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Upah Monday, December 5, 2011 9:51 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Thanks that worked straight away.

I was a bit grumpy last night and I guess I forgot to try clearing out my temporary files beforehand.

Monday, December 5, 2011 9:53 PM