none
Form that appears only when the application receives an update RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to have a window display when the application gets an update briefly explaining all changes.  Is there a way to recognize when an update happens and then have something trigger off of it?  I've looked around but there doesn't appear to be an "On Update" event that I can locate.  
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:53 PM

Answers

• An application is just that, it has no concept of an update.  The update takes place outside of the application.

What you could do is have a small text file with the current version of the application.  Then when the app opens you can read this and compare the version of the app to the text file.  If they are different you can then show the form with a change log.  The change log just needs to be a text file with the changes in it but that file needs to be updated with the app.  You will need to ensure that the version information in the app is kept up to date.

Lloyd Sheen

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:44 PM

All replies

• An application is just that, it has no concept of an update.  The update takes place outside of the application.

What you could do is have a small text file with the current version of the application.  Then when the app opens you can read this and compare the version of the app to the text file.  If they are different you can then show the form with a change log.  The change log just needs to be a text file with the changes in it but that file needs to be updated with the app.  You will need to ensure that the version information in the app is kept up to date.

Lloyd Sheen

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Arthur,

Along the same lines of what Lloyd suggested, you might consider this:

Use an XML file that's on your website. The first element of the XML will be your latest version number and the second could be your change log (or, if it's large, just store the URL of the change log).

"One who has no vices also has no virtues..."

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:54 PM