none
How to Activate Editor Window RRS feed

• Question

• When the new Find Navigate taskpane is open, I have not been able to find a way keyboard shortcut key to switch back to the editing window (i.e. the main Word window where text is entered/edited).  If I write a macro, how would I activate this window?  The main editing window does not have a taskpane ID.  Is it some other type of window or pane?

Many thanks in advance.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Sabuncu

Unfortunately, what you're hoping to do won't work. If the keyboard presses are in the focus of the Navigation Pane, then any keyboad shortcut you assign to a macro won't be recognized.

Ctrl+F6 cycles through the various sub-windows of the Word application. On my machine, three presses of Ctrl+F6 will take you back to the document surface. And one press of Shift+Ctrl+F6 will take you there, but it's a bit awkward.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by A.M. Sabuncu Monday, May 21, 2012 9:28 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Sabuncu,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I think I'm not sure about your goal. It's based on my experience that takspane is a part of the window. When you do some in taskpan such as click button in taskpan, we can use Word PIA to access the object of the current document via subscribe the click event. Would you please clarify your goal?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:57 AM
  • OK, here's the scenario: I press CTRL+F, and the navigation pane comes up on the left.  I type in a word to be searched.  It finds instances of that word and highlights them.  However the navigation pane still has focus.  I want to get back to editing my file.

I have not found a keyboard shortcut that would allow the editor (the document) to regain focus so I can continue typing (I don't want to use the mouse).

I am trying to write a macro that will give focus back to the editor (the document) when the navigation pane has the focus.

Thanks.

Monday, May 21, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Hi Sabuncu

Unfortunately, what you're hoping to do won't work. If the keyboard presses are in the focus of the Navigation Pane, then any keyboad shortcut you assign to a macro won't be recognized.

Ctrl+F6 cycles through the various sub-windows of the Word application. On my machine, three presses of Ctrl+F6 will take you back to the document surface. And one press of Shift+Ctrl+F6 will take you there, but it's a bit awkward.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by A.M. Sabuncu Monday, May 21, 2012 9:28 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Cindy, thanks so much.  I was not aware of the shortcuts you mention, they will come in handy.

(I tried to assign the shortcuts to hotkeys using AHK but it would not work.)

Really like the terminology "document surface", I had trouble describing it otherwise.

EDIT:

There seems one additional way: The sequence: ALT, W, P.  I was able to assign this sequence to a hotkey.

Thanks again Cindy.

Monday, May 21, 2012 9:28 AM