After Upgrading from VS2013 Update2 to VS2013 Update3, Designer cant display.

Question

• Hi, I could not figure what seems to be the problem. I have repaired VS2013 Update3 but still it cannot display the pages.

Before this, My WinRT app was developed base on Win8. Later, I upgraded to VS2013 Update2. Now, I upgraded it to the latest VS2013 Update3.  When I open my App in VS2013 Update 3, I notice the below problem. I can not see the page visually.

Please help.

System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException
    [7516] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain.Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IIsolationDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String assemblyCodeBase, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedObjectFactory.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateObjectFactory(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IObjectCatalog catalog)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Friday, October 17, 2014 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi FireDance,

Try to clean the two folders in your Windows in order for the Visual Studio designer to work with Visual Studio 2013 Update 3.

The two folders are:

For Blend: AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Blend\ShadowCache

For Visual Studio 2013: AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Designer\ShadowCache

Don't delete these folders, just delete the content of those folders and you will be back to working happily with the XAML designer again.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:44 AM

All replies

• I don't know if this is the correct way, somehow, it works. This is what I had done. I deleted  ALL  the files in the bin folder. Rebuild and run. things back to normal.  Is this the correct way ?
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 7:35 AM
  • Yes, it's the correct approach to this issue. Sometimes rebuild can solve this kind of issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Mahesh H K Monday, October 20, 2014 12:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mahesh H K Monday, October 20, 2014 12:02 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 6:50 AM
  • Hi FireDance,

Try to clean the two folders in your Windows in order for the Visual Studio designer to work with Visual Studio 2013 Update 3.

The two folders are:

For Blend: AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Blend\ShadowCache

For Visual Studio 2013: AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Designer\ShadowCache

Don't delete these folders, just delete the content of those folders and you will be back to working happily with the XAML designer again.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:44 AM