Keep IE10 metro running while I use desktop applications

Question

• Say I'm listening to pandora in IE metro and i want to do some stuff on the desktop. How can I keep pandora playing?

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:31 PM

All replies

• Not sure if this is possible, because when a WinRT application isn't running, it's put in Suspended mode where it doesn't access any of the CPU resources.
    I Suggest using the desktop IE for this.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Well, they obviously can't release it without supporting multitasking.  Can anyone from Microsoft shed some light here? 

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:38 PM
  • I'm with I-DotNET.  

There are a few multitasking situations that are a little confusing right now. Pandora is really just an easy example to test. I've noticed that it continues to play if I go to the start screen or the search screen but not if I switch to another application.

I was just tinkering, and if you put the metro IE into the small side window and the desktop into the large partial window it keeps playing. That's ok, but still not ideal because the IE controls are too small for my fingers now.

• Edited by Carbaholic Monday, September 26, 2011 8:36 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Well, they obviously can't release it without supporting multitasking.  Can anyone from Microsoft shed some light here? 

I can't see how this is acceptable to anyone, even on the little toy devices like an iPad clone, but then I can't understand why there isn't a 'close' button for Metro apps either.  Perhaps if it's released like this, instead of calling it Windows 8 it will be called Window 1.  (Hopefully a Start Menu will find it's way into the Desktop interface too.)
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I just tried this and Carbaholic is correct.  If you go to Pandora.com in Metro IE and they start another Metro app, your music stops.  Does anyone from Microsoft want to comment on this? 

Friday, September 30, 2011 8:54 PM
  • At first, I thought that maybe this was just a limitation in the developer preview.  But now that I think about, Microsoft did release WP7 without the ability for third-party apps to multitask.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:39 PM
  • I wish we'd get an MSFT response explaining the intent of how this is supposed to work.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:35 PM