view statistic distribution of geolocalized users in sql spatial RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i received a request from marketing sector. we got about 250K users geolocalized on sql tables.

they just want to see a smart view of the users distribution in the map.

Sql got the visualizing limit of 5000 objects. does anyone know a software to suggest me for the aim?

thanks Massimo

Friday, October 15, 2010 11:25 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

i solved my problem just istalling mappoint 2010. I've imported data from a csv  ( coordinates inside) .

Is just to have a visive impact of the user's distribution. If someone can suggest me some nice software i will appreciate!

Thanks to all Massimo

• Marked as answer by Jossy80 Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:42 AM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:41 AM

All replies

• I would suggest using Microsoft MapPoint with the Sql Server plugin as an easy to use application for the marketing group to visualize their data. You can download a free trial to test it out.

-Dion

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Hi there,

In my opinion, a map showing 250,000 individual points is going to be pretty useless for any sort of analysis - you need to consider some sort of clustering algorithm first, which will allow you to sensibly visualise how the underlying data is distributed. I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "smart" view or not?

Having done that, there are a number of tools that will plot spatial data on maps. These range from web-mapping tools such as Bing Maps/Google Earth right the way to full-blown GIS systems such as ArcGIS - it really depends what sort of budget/output you're looking for. What exactly is you marketing department expecting to do with the output?

Beginning Spatial with SQL Server http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430218290
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi tanoshini,

nothing of really complex, just a simple and easy way to see a visual distribution of users in the world....

@DTDURAN i installed all but i can't undertand how to use and where to find the sql mappoint plugin...:(

thanks massimo

Friday, October 15, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Hi ,

i solved my problem just istalling mappoint 2010. I've imported data from a csv  ( coordinates inside) .

Is just to have a visive impact of the user's distribution. If someone can suggest me some nice software i will appreciate!

Thanks to all Massimo

• Marked as answer by Jossy80 Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:42 AM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:41 AM