none
Visual Studio 2015 upd 3 Problem with Intellisense and CSS on MVC project

Question

• I have a VB.NET MVC 5 project which has of course bootstrap and a few other CSS files, when ever I would type class=" I would of course get the intellisense listing of all the known css classes in the project...

Until recently, when I do that now I only get any classes that are explicitly typed into a class attribute in the intellisense listing for the css classes.

If I make a whole new solution and a brand new MVC 5 project from the base MS project templates it works fine again for that project, go back to the other orignal project and nothing again...

I did some suggested things online like cleaning out the app data cache locations for Visual Studio that did not help.

I ended up launching VS 2015 in safe mode and opening the original project, typed in <div class=" and boom all the intellisense worked again, closed the IDE and launched again not in safe mode and once again no CSS intellisense except what is typed on that page.....

What in the world is causing this? I already uninstalled every extension that allows me to uninstall it in visual studio and that did not help at all...

Friday, October 07, 2016 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Brian-RESCH,

Could you share a simple sample using one drive? So we could really repro it in our side using the same project.

>>If I make a whole new solution and a brand new MVC 5 project from the base MS project templates it works fine again for that project, go back to the other orignal project and nothing again.

If a new project works well, how about creating a new solution? And then add the project files to the new solution, clean and rebuild the whole solution, test it again. Maybe it is related to certain project files.

>> ended up launching VS 2015 in safe mode and opening the original project, typed in <div class=" and boom all the intellisense worked again, closed the IDE and launched again not in safe mode and once again no CSS intellisense except what is typed on that page.

If it works well in safe mode, please click TOOLS->Extensions and Updates, and check that whether there are certain packages which need to be updated, and they are related to the web apps.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 10, 2016 11:16 AM
  • I'm trying to make an example solution but it seems to only affect my huge solution that I can not easily share. I did discover some new information though in the process of trying to pair down that solution to make an example reproduction solution..

My solution has a "SQL  Server Database Project" in it, in a Database Folder in the solution, if I remove only that project from the solution and clean / rebuild suddenly all the CSS selectors are back again. put a brand new "SQL Server Database Project" back into the solution and they disappear......

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:41 PM
  • It appears to be some type of corruption in the solution file related to that database project.

If I removed it then put it back into the solution the classes showed back up, when comparing it to the checked in version in TFS there is a lot of escaped Unicode like /u0002 type strings all through the areas that got rebuilt by the remove and re-adding of the project (the checked in one has the escaped codes)

not sure why this causes the CSS portion of the web project to not work though, but I appear to of corrected the problem

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:50 PM
  • @Brian-RESCH,

So you have found the real reason and resolved this issue, am I right?

Best Regards,

Jack 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:32 AM
  • @Brian-RESCH,

So you have found the real reason and resolved this issue, am I right?

Best Regards,

Jack 

What I think I found is a bug in Visual Studio... It came back on it's own, and seems to happen any time I put a SQL Server database project (target framework 2.0 and SQL Server 2008 as the deploy environment) into a solution that has a MVC web project (set to .NET 6.2.1 as the framework and MVC5) it works at first but then the class list intellisense stops randomly working until I right click the sql database project and select unload then it works again
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Hi Brian-RESCH,

One idea is that you could share a simple using one drive, so we could really repro it in our side.

As you said that your SQL Server database project's target was the old Framework version or the old SQL Server version, if you use the latest .NET Framework and use the latest database like the localDB in your VS IDE, how about the result? At least, we could know that whether it is related to the Old .NET Framework or the SQL Server.

Of course, if we make sure that it is a real feedback, and if it is convenient for you, you could submit a feedback here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

You could upload the sample in your connect report, so the product team could really repro this issue, I will also download it and debug it in my side, if I get the same issue, I will help you vote it.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, October 13, 2016 11:59 AM
  • Any update, Brian-RESCH?

Best Regards,

Jack

Friday, October 14, 2016 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

i have the same problem in Visual Studio 2015 and in Visual Studio 2017.

The problem not only occurs if at least one Database Project is inside my solution, in Visual Studio 2017 i have the same problem with a project of type "Azure Cloud Service".

Come on Microsoft: This problem is very easy to reproduce. Just create a blank solution with a web project and a database project. Bootstrap CSS is then immedtiately broken....

Regards,
    Daniel

Monday, September 25, 2017 2:02 PM