Expression Web 4 | Cannot connect to website | Error message "Could not open data connection to port 50309" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

I recently got a new computer, so I transferred my website files over and re-installed Expression Web 3 and then Expression 4. I set the publishing settings, made a change to one of my files and then tried to upload it. However, I'm getting this error: "Could not open data connection to port 50309" Connection timed out (425)"

I thought perhaps my publishing settings were wrong and I checked them several times, but they are not. I downloaded FileZilla and was able to use FZ to upload the changed page (with those same settings) just fine.

Any ideas what could be wrong on the Expression Web end? I'm running Windows 7, using Firefox. Would it be worth it to go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling? I'm concerned that if I uninstall that I won't be able to reinstall again (since we only get two licenses with Expression Web now, correct?) - or am I misunderstanding how the licenses work? I don't have a disk, so I just don't want to have to purchase the software again.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:16 PM

All replies

• Make sure EW is allowed through your firewall.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:33 PM
  • In all the years I have been here, there has only been one reported instance where uninstall/reinstall actually resolved an issue, and it had nothing to do with publishing, IIRC. OTOH, several people have reported difficulties even running EW after reinstalling.

Googling your error message, it does appear to be related to firewall activity, and many suggested switching from active to passive mode for your FTP connection (FileZilla defaults to passive mode). Give that a shot and see what you get.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:41 PM
  • I wouldn't uninstall but I would run a repair.

Port 50309 is an unasigned / private use port.

Expression Web MVP

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:43 PM
  • In all the years I have been here, there has only been one reported instance where uninstall/reinstall actually resolved an issue, and it had nothing to do with publishing, IIRC. OTOH, several people have reported difficulties even running EW after reinstalling.

Googling your error message, it does appear to be related to firewall activity, and many suggested switching from active to passive mode for your FTP connection (FileZilla defaults to passive mode). Give that a shot and see what you get.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:44 PM
  • "I recently got a new computer, so I transferred my website files over and re-installed Expression Web 3 and then Expression 4. I set the publishing settings, made a change to one of my files and then tried to upload it. However, I'm getting this error: "Could not open data connection to port 50309" Connection timed out (425)"

I am getting the exact same error, it just seems to have begun out of the blue. In fact, if you try again you may note you get a different higher port range each time. I called the hosting company and they could see in the log that connected and then got bumped up to a higher port. They tried FileZilla and had no problem, I then tried Dreamweaver and had no problem. I do not use Dreamweaver, it came with and education bundle I purchased for school.I have published via ftp through EW for over three years and have changed nothing I am aware of.

The only thing I know I changed was my McAfee type of service. I just tried three times and got port 59327, then 59441, then 59444. Anyone with a solution??

gary fuller

• Edited by gare Friday, December 21, 2012 12:09 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Did you have a question?

Friday, December 21, 2012 1:17 AM
  • "The only thing I know I changed was my McAfee type of service. "

That probably caused the problem.  Ask them how you should be letting EW through the firewall (or whatever other security they are imposing).

Friday, December 21, 2012 6:32 PM
  • The same problem started for me yesterday only my timeout comes on port 21 (ftp). As far as I know nothing has changed.

FTP works normally outside of EW and the Firewall is set to allow EW through and port 21 is ok.

This is really frustrating. Did I read correctly that EW4 does not have continued support from Microsoft?

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:27 AM
  • "Did I read correctly that EW4 does not have continued support from Microsoft?"

No. If you bought EW, support continues as normal. Free/trial versions have no support, but they never did.

You may have gotten an update recently that broke something. Have you tried rolling the computer back to its last known good configuration?

Like all pilots, Santa has to get certified periodically by the Federal Aviation Administration. The examiner checked his log book and the sleigh.
    Then they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in the sleigh and the examiner joined him. But he was carrying a rifle.
    "What's that for?" asked Santa.
    "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you're gonna lose an engine on takeoff."

Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Hello everyone! Sorry for the lateness - I was gone for the holidays. I've tried all the suggestions above, and here's an update:

1) I checked "passive FTP" but that didn't work.

2) I checked my firewall settings (I'm using Windows Firewall) and it wasn't letting MS Expression through. I allowed MS Expression and was hopeful that would solve it. However, there is a new issue: Expression now connects to files, and appears to be uploading, but none of the changes actually appear on the web.

3) I looked into doing a system restore, but this was the first program I had uploaded to my new computer, so I doubt this is the problem. Regardless, my two restore points are after I began experiencing the issue, so they wouldn't resolve it.

So - any ideas why Expression would be showing that I am "connected" but not actually uploading/replacing the files on the server? The only thing I can think is that it has connected to the files on my computer (rather than the server.) Is this a possibility? Is there something I'm doing incorrectly in the "publishing" setup that would be sending Expression to my own files, rather than the server? If not, is there any reason why Expression would indicate that it is uploading and everything is fine, but the changes aren't appearing on the web? Or is this another issue related to Windows firewall?

Thank you for your help so far.

Rebecca

Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:40 PM
  • OK, let's try to sort out what the current situation is from what you actually said...

From #2 above, I presume that allowing EW through the firewall worked, that you are no longer getting an error message when you try to publish, but that it appears that changes are not being promulgated to the remote site. In other words, the original raison d'être for the thread is resolved, but you have a new issue. Is that the case?

If you set up your publishing destination correctly, using an FTP address for the location, then none of that supposition in the fifth paragraph is correct. However, one thing that could be causing the issue that you are observing is that EW is indeed uploading the file(s), but you have specified the wrong folder in your publishing destination settings, so that your live site never reflects the changes.

For example, Lunarpages (Window servers) requires that your site be contained in a folder called "httpdocs." If you enter the domain address in the "Location:" field, but don't enter "httpdocs" in the "Directory:" field when setting up the publishing destination, your files don't go where they need to go to be displayed when your unqualified domain name is entered.

Some other providers, especially Linux providers, use a default directory of "public_html," while other Windows server providers often use "wwwroot," and other providers may have their own preference for that folder. Still others do not have a directory to which to direct files; the FTP address they provide you is the target directory. You need to check with your provider, find out what directory you need to upload your files to, and make sure that that folder is named in the "Directory:" field of the Connection Settings dialog.

cheers,
    scott

Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:34 PM
  • I'd go with the publishing destination not specified correctly. If you are publishing to the hosting root it is likely that you will never see the changes. As Scott pointed out most commercial hosting has a public directory which is your website root. I've got sites I manage in public_html, wwwroot, http_docs, https_docs, www and other folders inside the ftp root. Your host's welcome letter should tell you which one they use and it should also be on their website in the FAQs.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Hello -

I recently got a new computer, so I transferred my website files over and re-installed Expression Web 3 and then Expression 4. I set the publishing settings, made a change to one of my files and then tried to upload it. However, I'm getting this error: "Could not open data connection to port 50309" Connection timed out (425)"

Thanks!

Was there ever a resolution to this?

I get the same error with a different 52xxx port each time:

Could not open data connection to port 52xxx: Connection timed out (425)

This just started happening about a week ago.

A few sites, been publishing them for quite some time, never changed settings. Happens with any selected site.

I do have another web publishing software - student version DW. I do not quite know how to use it yet, but I was able to have it connect to one of the sites and import all of its files and then publish it.

Within EW I tried

Site_Publishing_Connect to the current publishing destination, I see it says Listing subsites in...... at the bottom, then the error pops up. This time it is port 60045, first time not a 52xxx.

Thank you

gare

• Edited by gare Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:24 PM Added info
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Did you have a question?

Sorry, I have no idea what i did with that post. Rather new to all. I did now set my settings to be alerted to thread updates I have posted in. I will make every attempt to not post blank messages.

gare

• Edited by gare Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:47 PM mis-spelled words
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Well, Rebecca appears to have either resolved her issue or given up on this thread. I'm not sure that your reviving it after having started another thread is the best idea. For one thing, it confuses the issue, and you have people asking questions and suggesting things in both threads, often in duplicate. Also, you don't "own" this thread, so if someone does find a resolution, you cannot mark it as answer. Once your other thread was replied to, you could no longer delete it; only moderators can do so.

As to "Was there ever a resolution to this?", well, do you see one? From what I can see, it appears to have been abandoned by the OP, which means that one of the suggestions worked for her, or that she found another resolution which she did not report here, or that she gave up and quit working on the site.

In any event, this one of the kinds of problems that we can do very little with. It does not involve how to use EW, or how to write HTML and CSS, and it is not something that we can replicate on our own machines to test suggested resolutions. You said earlier that the only thing that changed is your McAfee service. Have you investigated or done anything about that? Can you connect using 3rd-party FTP? If so, have you tried creating a new site and connecting with it? If not, you've got server issues.

There is very little we can suggest in this thread that hasn't already been mentioned. I suggest that you read the entire thread, try whatever has already been suggested, and then move back to your own thread, as resurrecting this one has clearly served no purpose.

cheers,
    scott

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:50 AM
  • Well, Rebecca appears to have either resolved her issue or given up on this thread. I'm not sure that your reviving it after having started another thread is the best idea. For one thing, it confuses the issue, and you have people asking questions and suggesting things in both threads, often in duplicate. Also, you don't "own" this thread, so if someone does find a resolution, you cannot mark it as answer. Once your other thread was replied to, you could no longer delete it; only moderators can do so.

As to "Was there ever a resolution to this?", well, do you see one? From what I can see, it appears to have been abandoned by the OP, which means that one of the suggestions worked for her, or that she found another resolution which she did not report here, or that she gave up and quit working on the site.

In any event, this one of the kinds of problems that we can do very little with. It does not involve how to use EW, or how to write HTML and CSS, and it is not something that we can replicate on our own machines to test suggested resolutions. You said earlier that the only thing that changed is your McAfee service. Have you investigated or done anything about that? Can you connect using 3rd-party FTP? If so, have you tried creating a new site and connecting with it? If not, you've got server issues.

There is very little we can suggest in this thread that hasn't already been mentioned. I suggest that you read the entire thread, try whatever has already been suggested, and then move back to your own thread, as resurrecting this one has clearly served no purpose.

cheers,
    scott

I do not see an answer, hence the question as I know sometimes people get an answer but never say so. Anyway, thanks, I see these threads cannot be closed, so if I find an answer someplace, I will post it. I wish I had not started the other thread since they are sort of the same thing, but, as you stated, not really relative to HTML, CSS, etc.

I am able to publish using Dreamweaver via FTP, so I am more inclined to think it is a problem specific to EW. I am not a DW user, I have a student version, so I tried it.

Have a great rest of the evening or whatever it is where you are.

gare

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:15 AM