SQL Replication Async and Sync RRS feed

• Question

• Fellow SQLers,

It has been some time since I configured replication.

Using older SQL 2008r2 standard.  Simple setup - Publish/Dist/Subscriber. Pub and Dist are on same server.

It was my understanding that replication uses asynchronous as the standard method of replication

1 - Is that correct?

2 - Is it "possible" to change it to sync? If so how would one do that?  I know the ramifications of sync but I just want to know if it is possible to do that with SQL replication.

Thanks MG

• Edited by mg101 Monday, March 26, 2018 5:27 PM fix wording
    Monday, March 26, 2018 5:26 PM

Answers

• 1) that is correct.

2) you can drop polling interval to 1 s and it will take a minimum of 2 seconds to copy a row from the publisher to the subscriber. That is as "synchronous" as you get, but it really uses a store and forward mechanism as opposed to a synchronous mechanism.

• Marked as answer by mg101 Monday, March 26, 2018 6:23 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 6:00 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• 1) that is correct.

2) you can drop polling interval to 1 s and it will take a minimum of 2 seconds to copy a row from the publisher to the subscriber. That is as "synchronous" as you get, but it really uses a store and forward mechanism as opposed to a synchronous mechanism.

• Marked as answer by mg101 Monday, March 26, 2018 6:23 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 6:00 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks HIlary
    Monday, March 26, 2018 6:23 PM
  • If you want sync commit, you need to use another technology like AlwaysOn or Database Mirroring.

Monday, March 26, 2018 6:31 PM
  • Thanks Tom

MG

Monday, March 26, 2018 6:57 PM