New flight 15002 released for Insiders

General discussion

• We have released a new flight with the build number 15002 for insiders. If you discover any issue, please report it using the feedback app.

New this build:

• Changes were made to the GUID of the UEFI file system volume for the DragonBoard
    • Updates were made to Cortana on IoT to address reports of errors when listening
    • Changes were made to the visual layout of Windows Devices Portal (WDP/Web Management)
    • Cortana feature has been enabled. See the Cortana section below for more details
    • The Dragonboard BSP in the provided FFU has been updated to build 2110 as provided by Qualcomm
    • The Windows Device Portal (WDP/Web Management) has been extended to add a quick run portal for IoT Samples
    • A fix was made to the Class Extensions for Hardware Notification (hwnclx) and USB Function (usbfnclx) packages so that they would be included in the default IoT Core images
    • Changes were made to IoTShell to enable waiting for PPKG provisioned package installation to complete
    • Updates were made to the GPIO Interrupt Buffer API
    • Changes were made to Applyupdate.exe to add the blockrebooton/blockrebootoff flags
    • A fix was made to the power state API to ensure the wakeup timer is cancelled upon exiting from connected standby
    • Universal Write Filter (UWF) has been added as an option to the Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD)
    • The BluetoothLE stack has been updated to address the issues seen when calling GattDeviceService.GetCharacteristics
    • Issues with NanoRDP connecting have been addressed

Known issues:

• The package version for some inbox applications may not match the installed version
    • NanoRDP does not render correctly on some platforms
    • The MinnowBoard Max firmware 0.93 has a known issue which can lead to network connectivity failure.
    • BluetoothLE paired devices may throw and exception and fail to function properly

Thanks!

To try Cortana feature:  

• Please check “Start Cortana on Boot” on Device Settings of Windows Device Portal and restart the device.
    • Navigate to Device Settings on top right of default application, click ‘Cortana & Search Settings’, this will launch the consent page for Cortana. After you click ‘sure’ to accept the consent, you are all set for Cortana.
    • When you want to check your reminder, or traffic near you, you will be prompted to sign in with MSA. Please sign in so that you will have full experience Cortana.

Instructions:

• You need to get one microphone and one speaker connected with your device.
      • On the Device Settings page of Windows Device Portal, check if your microphone and speaker is the one displayed against Speakers and Microphone. Click the Refresh button and make sure the correct peripherals are displayed.
      • Adjust the volume for both to be in the range 40-70%. (Please make sure Microphone is not 0.0)
      • Here is the hardware that we recommend: 
    • Questions you can ask:
      • What is the traffic to my home?
      • What song is this?
      • How’s the weather?
      • Tell me a joke.
    • How to exit Cortana
      • Say “Hey, Cortana” and then say “Cancel”

Monday, January 09, 2017 11:12 PM

All replies

• "See the Cortana section below for more details "

where is "below"?

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:28 AM
  • Sorry Andre! Looks like a carry-over from the prior version post. I have edited this post to bring the instructions forward.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:41 PM
  • great

btw this new build also does not contain the latest IoTCoreDefaultApp ?!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:50 PM
  • Did a quick run through the updated layout of the Windows Device Portal. Looks pretty good in Edge, but not so good in Firefox. In the latter it seems to be missing controls on the Device Settings, Apps Manager doesn't display anything, etc.

Seems like I'll need to use Edge for the Device Portal for the time being?

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:58 PM
  • Hi Pannell,

You are correct. The requirement for IoTCore development is a Windows 10 machine so Edge should be available to you when developing for IoT Core.

Note you can give feedback on any app in the store and that will be presented to the owner/producer of that application.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:12 PM
  • I updated my Pi from build 14993 to 15002. Unfortunately, the Windows Device Portal does not show any information, neither in Edge or Chrome. I do get a menu but don't get any info from the Pi itself: No device name, IP address etc, Apps manager shows two panels (Apps, Install App) but only those labels, nothing else. And that goes for all the pages....

Adrian

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:25 PM
  • @Anne it seems that's a temporary issue ... it seems its working after a period of time (or a reboot)

edit:
    please upvote using Feedback Hub App

• Edited by cyberh0me Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:31 PM
  • Indeed cyberh0me, after a reboot of both the Pi and the Notebook the Windows Device Portal is working. Thanks for you response! It looks pretty good. It does not seem to work in Google Chrome though.....

Anne

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:44 PM
  • Will the Windows IoT Remote Client (Preview) app work with this now? I haven't been able to connect to my RPi2 and RPi3 for the last couple of builds. Box is check to enable Remote connection.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:51 PM
  • Hi Carlo,

Do you have the latest copy of the desktop client from the store? You may want to check and see if there is an update to the version you are using.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Nope, Remote Client is still not working: the mouse becomes visible on the screen of the Pi but no image on the remote screen.

Anne

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Known issues:

"NanoRDP does not render correctly on some platforms"

= Remote Client

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:16 AM
  • I'm attempting to try the Cortana features but I'm not seeing the Cortana & Search Settings when I go to the device settings. All I see are "Basic Preferences", "Network & Wi-Fi" and "Bluetooth".

I have Cortana checked to start on boot, and I see it running from the device portal. I have the Logitech speakers and LifeCam 3000 both showing as connected in the device portal as well.

Any ideas of what might be the issue?

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:11 PM
  • @Lee Parrish

you need to check the installed IoTCoreDefaultApp version (in device portal)

IoTCoreDefaultApp
    Version: 1.0.1610.24000
    Publisher: CN=MSFT
    PackageFullName: IoTCoreDefaultApp_1.0.1610.24000_arm__1w720vyc4ccym

and based on GitHub the version with Cortana included should be

IoTCoreDefaultApp
    Version: 1.2.0.0
    Publisher: CN=MSFT
    PackageFullName: IoTCoreDefaultApp_1.2.0.0_arm__1w720vyc4ccym

after installing the GitHub version Cortana is available in device settings....

edit:
    please upvote using Feedback Hub App

br
    Andre

• Edited by cyberh0me Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Hi Andre,

Just one caveat... you are asking about Windows Insider releases but are characterizing them like they are release builds which is very misleading. Insider build are under development so by definition may be incomplete so your request will likely be rejected.  Essentially the Insider images are pre-release so may have partially completed features and offer no guarantees.   To meet your need for a complete image please stay with retail builds (14393) the image as it does have the mandate you are requesting.

NOTE: Even an insider build, as fast as they are, can take a few weeks to get out. This means it did have the latest bits available when it was produced but will never make it out the door with todays bits.  On any bit of software, you should be able to tell by the production date on the files within the image to get an accurate reference.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:25 PM
  • i don't see that caveat as also insider previews are releases

anyway we should report any issue with feedback hub and this is an issue

• Edited by cyberh0me Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:48 PM
  • Hi Cyberh0me,

Insider drops are "Pre-releases", or previews to use a different term, that means they are not expected to meet full release criteria like a proper release build would.  They have features that are not complete so you can get the opportunity to give feedback before they are complete, for example.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:27 PM
  • it seems you should read more Donna Sarkar postings most MS guys are using release and not pre-release ;)

it would make more sense you raise the priority of the big security issue from device portal where everyone can use the portal with every password ;)

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:42 PM
  • The device portal doesn't appear to work properly with Chrome even after period of time/reboot (for me atleast). Have logged feedback to that effect.
    • Edited by shahidiqbal Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:15 PM clarification
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:46 PM
  • I'm not able to sign into Cortana using my MSA. Prompt appears fine and I populate all info but I get the "oops" message at the end. My MSA has MFA enabled in case that makes a difference, it does prompt me to enter the MFA verification code which I am able to do but no success in signing in.

Cortana does respond otherwise but is not able to access the info that requires you to be signed in.

Have logged feedback.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:51 PM
  • Glad to be able to report that the On Screen Keyboard is working in 15002! Thanks a lot!

Anne

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:53 PM
  • @Lee Parrish

If you updated to this 15002 build via flighting (e.g. Windows Update), we have an issue with the default app not getting updated via flight updates.  We are investigating this.  Thus you are not seeing the Cortana & Search settings per the instructions above.

In the meantime, please try this workaround to use Cortana.

Go to Apps Manager under Device Portal - to do this, enter http://<device IP>:8080/#Apps%20manager into a browser. Under the list of App Names, you should see Search or Cortana. If it's stopped, start the app (under the Actions drop down box, select Start). Cortana will launch on your IoT Device and if it's your very first time launching Cortana, it will ask for consent. If you deny consent, Cortana will not work. To accept, click Sure:

Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:52 PM
  • @shahidiqbal

Regarding the Cortana MSA issue.  What build are you on?  Can you also share the feedback url link so I can find it for additional details?

Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Remote IoT Client works in build 15007!

Anne

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:10 PM
  • @masatos I was on build 15002, currently updating to 15007 so will retry. Feedback link https://aka.ms/Js9uhn

I'll update with more info if it doesn't work in 15007

Same problem with 15007, invoke consent screen by asking Cortana to phone home, sign into MSA enter MFA code and then get the error screen.

Will try and remove MFA requirement temporarily to see if this is causing the issue.

• Edited by shahidiqbal Sunday, January 15, 2017 1:13 PM Updated info
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:58 PM
  • @shahidiqbal

Regarding the Cortana MSA issue.  What build are you on?  Can you also share the feedback url link so I can find it for additional details?

So I've tried again on 15007 and removed MFA on my MSA but no luck.

Not sure how to debug this, there seems to be a message appear very briefly before the Cortana failure message but too fast to see what the message is.

Final update for today, have reflashed the OS to start clean and tried to use the Cortana menu from the device to sign in, this time it didnt fail but hasn't signed me in. If I try and say something like "Hey Cortana call home" I get the sign in screen again and it fails to sign in. 

Also noticed that in the Cortana screen on the device settings (on the device not the device portal) there is a the About Me section, there is an Account icon but clicking it doesn't appear to bring up anything,

• Edited by shahidiqbal Sunday, January 15, 2017 8:30 PM updated
    Sunday, January 15, 2017 1:25 PM
  • @shahidiqbal

Thank you for your diligence into digging into this! 

The team responsible for this feature has accepted this issue into their backlog and has prioritized it to be complete in time for the next major release.  As Microsoft works on an Agile schedule, I unfortunately can’t offer any firm dates as to when any particular issue will be addressed but this priority marking does indicate the team considers this an important issue to be fixed.

In the meantime, if you would still like to try out Cortana on IoT Core, you can still ask her questions that are not tied to your personal MSA account (e.g. what is tomorrow's weather).  Only personal questions like, "show me traffic to my home," will not work.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:31 PM