none
What settings to allow a user to see Project Center views but not change project properties? RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone describe the security and category settings to allow a user to see Project Center views, but not be able to change the project properties?

With the following settings, the user can see Project Center link, it says that there are no projects to view because none are published or permissions.

• is a Team Member and My Project Category with all permissions allowed by default.
    • Team Member groups has My Tasks category and all permissions allowed by default.

If I add her to the Project Manager group, she can see the Project Center views AND change project properties

• Project Manager group has categories My Direct Reports, My Projects, My Resources and My Tasks

What group or category do I need to tweek to allow Project Managers full access and some users to see Project Center, but not allow access to change project properties?

Thanks for your help.Jeff

Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

yes, you found it!

However, be careful with a deny since it is stronger than any deny. So if a user is member of two groups, with allow in one group and deny in the other, he will not be allowed to perform this action.
    My suggestion: Clear "Allow" (and "Deny) for this group for all categories. It will have the same effect as long as a user is no member of another group granting this permission.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, January 7, 2011 7:07 AM

All replies

• HAHAHA

I think I found it, but I would like confirmation.

I assigned the user to Team Leads group with My Direct Reports, My Personal Projects, My Projects and My Resources. Changed (denied) My Projects permissions for Edit Project Properties in Project Center.

Sometimes the answer (I hope) hits you like a brick wall.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

yes, you found it!

However, be careful with a deny since it is stronger than any deny. So if a user is member of two groups, with allow in one group and deny in the other, he will not be allowed to perform this action.
    My suggestion: Clear "Allow" (and "Deny) for this group for all categories. It will have the same effect as long as a user is no member of another group granting this permission.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, January 7, 2011 7:07 AM